Alaska is home to picturesque wilderness, rare and endangered wildlife, and dreamlike visions of Mother Nature. Denali National Park – millions of acres of sprawling tundra, verdant forests, pristine lakes, and majestic snow-capped mountains – is the pinnacle of any traveler’s trip to the Last Frontier, with its highest peak topping the charts for all North American ranges. But what is often overlooked is the amount of remarkable scenery en route to the park. From Anchorage to Denali, here’s how to best experience all the drive has to offer.
The region within and surrounding Denali National Park is studded with lakes. Mirror Lake is the first of many, located just a short drive from Anchorage, and a few minutes from the highway. Surrounded by the untouched wilderness of Chugach State Park, this lake is known for its flawless reflections of the mountains behind it. There are picnic tables and hiking trails, should you decide to stay longer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located near Old Glenn Hwy, Thunderbird Falls is easily reached by foot. Visitors must head uphill and along the canyon before reaching the viewing deck. From here, catch a glimpse of the magical falls. If you’re yearning for a close-up look, follow the trail to the base of the falls – best seen during winter when the cascading water freezes into striking ice sculptures.
Eklutna Lake, located 15 miles off the highway on Eklutna Lake Road, is worth the drive. The valley in which it lies bears witness to glacial erosion thousands of years ago, when it was carved by the Eklutna Glacier, and is surrounded by the Chugach State Park. Rows of mountains blanketed with snow mark the backdrop to the water’s edge, while campgrounds and hiking trails offer visitors a chance to get to know the area better. A stop at Eklutna Village – the area’s oldest continuously inhabited Native American settlement – is a must.
Reflections Lake is where visitors can come to listen to the peaceful sounds of nature alongside spectacular views of the Alaskan landscape. Walk along the one-mile trail that circumnavigates the lake, or opt for a tranquil picnic lakeside.
Nancy Lake State Park
Nancy Lake State Park is an optimal adventure stop: outdoor enthusiasts can paddle across the waters via canoe or walk along one of the hiking trails during the warmer months. In the winter, there’s cross-country skiing and snowmobiling, with trail loops constructed to wind through the best areas of the park.
The quaint little town of Talkeetna is situated just halfway between Anchorage and Denali, and a short drive from the Parks Highway. A popular stop for those taking the train from Anchorage, Talkeetna – although a bit touristy – has a unique aboriginal flair, selling goods handmade by locals. Plus, the town is surrounded by endless tree hedge and miles of stunning natural beauty.
Outside of Denali National Park, there are fewer places that expose the park and all its splendors in such a fashion: unobstructed, panoramic views of the Alaskan Range. The Denali Viewpoint (South) is located at the 134-135 milepost on the Parks Highway; stop here for snow-capped peaks and rolling hills of pine. For an unconventional view of the mountains, head to the Denali Viewpoint North – 30 miles north on the eastern side of the park.
Denali National Park
Alas, the vision that has been most patiently awaited: Denali National Park. While the drive is quite short (four to five hours), encountering the towering peaks of the park is sure to have you feeling enchanted. Be sure to stop for a photograph, especially during fall when the foliage is glowing orange and red.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.