Nicknamed ‘The Fountain City’ Prattville, Alabama is known for having many artesian wells. Only a 20-minute drive away from the state capital, Montgomery, it was founded in 1839 by architect Daniel Pratt. Today it’s a popular destination among golfers and has hosted the women’s professional golf tournament, Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic, for several years. Here are the best places to eat while you’re in town.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Uncle Mick’s Cajun Café
For a casual dining experience made perfect with Cajun cooking, Uncle Mick’s in downtown Prattville is the place to go. Their menu consists of fresh Southern Louisiana dishes, cooked from scratch and served by the cup, bowl or plate. If the more exotic choices on the menu like crawfish or alligator sound scary, you have the option of sampling all of the entrées before paying, which is one of the best things about the restaurant. A family-friendly establishment, Uncle Mick’s has been a Prattville favorite for many years.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chappy’s is a local Alabama deli, which has become a staple since opening in 1989. The restaurant is known for mixing New York flavors with Southern hospitality and has a total of 5 locations: Prattville, Auburn and three in Montgomery. You’ll find the Prattville deli in the High Point Town Center, off Cobbs Ford Road, where it serves fresh country eggs and buttermilk pancakes for breakfast and signature grilled sandwiches, soup combos and fresh salads for lunch and dinner. One of the best things about Chappy’s Deli is that kids under six years old always eat free, and there’s free ice cream too.
There are quite a few Mexican restaurants in Prattville, but Mexico Tipico is regularly sworn by locals to be the best. They’re open every day of the week, and the food rarely disappoints. The atmosphere is friendly, and the service is fast; two of the reasons why the place is so highly recommended and loved. In addition to authentic Mexican staples like tacos, fajitas and quesadillas, the restaurant serves delicious margaritas and drinks.
Mexico Tipico, 1870 E Main St, Prattville, AL, USA, +1 334 365 8677
Fat Boy’s Bar-B-Que Ranch
Fat Boy’s Bar-B-Que Ranch is a popular caterer known for their slow-cooked meats. The restaurant is located downtown on the banks of Autauga Creek. It’s a casual local favorite, with a friendly atmosphere and iconic flavors, a result of their style of cooking over natural hickory and mesquite woods. They have a variety of meats from smoked chicken and turkey to beef brisket and barbecue pork, and dishes include plates, sandwiches, salads and baked potatoes. There are also great sides and desserts, which are all made from scratch.
Smith-Byrd House Tea Room
If you love tea and want to enjoy the afternoon losing track of time with friends, Smith-Byrd House Tea Room is the perfect place. Located within the Smith-Byrd Bed & Breakfast in the Daniel Pratt Historic District, the tea room serves sandwiches, scones, and more than 100 different loose teas from around the world. With a casual and comfortable Victorian atmosphere that takes you back in time, it’s one of the most special treats Prattville has to offer. Also visit the gift shop, which sells linens, books, teas, and precious little items.
Queen Meats & Wine
Like its name suggests, Queen Meats & Wine is a local Prattville butcher and wine shop, which also serves lunch daily from 11AM to 2PM. It’s located on Highway 82, making it one of the best places in town for a quick drop-in lunch. The menu includes sandwich options, each served with a drink and chips; like Buffalo chicken, roast beef, turkey French dip, and pimento cheese. With a grocery selection that goes beyond fresh meats and wine, you can also get some food shopping done while on your lunch break.
Prattville Country Club Restaurant
For a finer dining experience, head to the Prattville Country Club’s restaurant. It’s on Highway 82 Bypass, just minutes away from downtown Montgomery, and it’s perfect for special occasions or nice family dinners. In addition to the restaurant, the club has a golf course, swimming pool, and fitness center. Though more on the upscale side, the restaurant still serves a relaxed menu and has a casual, welcoming atmosphere. Alongside daily dishes, including sandwiches, salads, and burgers, they also have an excellent selection of weekly specials.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.