Rich with history, flush with natural beauty and stacked with buzzworthy culinary outposts, Alabama is the state to see in the Southeast. Whether you’re headed to the sandy Gulf Coast, the hustle and bustle of Birmingham or the arts and science hub of Huntsville, stay at one of the best hotels in Alabama – all bookable with Culture Trip – offering travelers a true look at the state.
In the heart of downtown Mobile, this historic hotel has a star-studded list of former guests, including sports stars, a king and President Woodrow Wilson. The elegant arches and domed ceiling of the lobby paired with red, white and blue tones paint a sense of patriotic grandeur. The rejuvenating spa, rooftop pool, golf cage range and on-site tennis court complete this Southern gem.
Home to the former Empire Building on the famed Heaviest Corner on Earth and one of the best hotels in Alabama, the Elyton Hotel offers a glimpse into the storied past of Birmingham, with bronze furnishings and a grand marble staircase, while paying tribute to the contemporary future of the city, with bold yellow-and-gray rooms replete with modern artwork. Snag a sunset sip and a slice of wood-fired pizza at the on-site restaurant, Moon Shine, for a full view of the Southern city.
The nautical-themed rooms at Perdido Beach Resort mimic the breezy atmosphere of Orange Beach. Panoramic room windows offer scenic views of the sugar-white sand and turquoise water of the Gulf of Mexico when you’re not sailing, kayaking, deep-sea fishing or enjoying the local golf courses. At the end of the day, enjoy broiled gulf oysters at Voyager’s Restaurant before falling asleep to the sound of ocean waves.
With Victorian-style rooms, a lantern-lit veranda, a French country-style carriage house and a traditional homey front parlor, Fort Conde Inn is a step back in time moments from downtown Mobile. Daily breakfast delights, such as bananas foster french toast and quiche, are served in the historic dining room and courtyard, accompanied by soft classical music. For an intimate experience, the Southern manor has three cottages.
With award-winning golf courses and a grandiose spa, the Grand Hotel offers a choose-your-own-adventure travel experience amid the refreshing Gulf Coast air. For the history buff, the on-site historian offers daily tours showcasing the former uses of the property as a Civil War hospital and a World War II training ground, while foodies can enjoy the monthly culinary and beverage academies, which often use ingredients from the hotel garden.
Natural wonders collide with eccentric and vibrant decor reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland at this hotel, just minutes from downtown Birmingham. The rooftop restaurant and bar, Habitat Feed & Social, showcases stunning views alongside farm-to-table eats and botanical cocktails, in addition to hosting cooking classes. Indulge your inner art critic and visit the hotel gallery and scenic sculpture garden, featuring a curated collection of both global and local artists.
Overlooking the Tennessee River, this luxe hotel in Alabama pays homage to the musical heritage of Muscle Shoals with daily live music at Swampers Bar and Grill. For a relaxing experience, the Spa at the Shoals offers a premium list of song-themed services, such as the Old Time Rock and Roll massage, which comes with Himalayan salt stones. Families can enjoy splashing around in the indoor and outdoor pools after exploring Florence.
Modern European minimalism meets the South at the AC by Marriott in Huntsville. Natural tones and sleek wooden floors mimic the neighboring Big Spring Park for a seamless experience between hotel and habitat. Choices are challenging, with more than 90 whiskeys and 60 tequilas on the BarVista menu, but catching a rooftop sunset across the downtown Huntsville skyline with a cocktail in hand is an easy decision. BarVista menu items also showcase produce from local farmers and purveyors from the region.
Quirky Southern charm is the name of the game at the GunRunner in Florence. The former car dealership showroom has been transformed into an industrial, brick-surrounded lobby adorned with plush velvet furniture and ornate chandeliers, all centered around a wooden and onyx bar. Sleek rooms are dedicated to celebrities in the Shoals area, including designer Billy Reid, Sun Records founder Sam Phillips and architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The hands-off GunRunner hospitality, with a lack of on-site staff and formal checkin, grants guests a sense of freedom.
In the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in Anniston, this head-turning Queen Anne Victorian-style mansion elevates country charm into modern luxury, evident through the neighborhood-style architecture, sliding barn-style doors in the rooms, luxe chandeliers, rocking chair-laden patio and intricately carved wood fixtures. Indulge in the daily complimentary Southern grits bar for a true taste of Alabama cuisine.
On a budget? Check out these cheap hotels in Auburn, Alabama, and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.