Birmingham is a lively place full of fun activities, great food, and Southern culture. Read our guide to discover this Alabama city’s most popular sights and activities, all of which are rich with history and culture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Red Mountain Park
Spanning over 1,000 acres, Red Mountain Park is even larger than New York’s Central Park. The park has 14 miles of biking and hiking trails for the athletic enthusiast and six acres of terrain for an off leash dog park. If you’re seeking more of a thrill or organized adventure, Red Mountain also offers zip lining and rope courses.
Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Once at the center of the civil rights movement, Birmingham is a historic city. The Civil Rights Institute gives visitors the opportunity to walk through what life was like for residents during the 1950’s and 1960’s. The museum offers media presentations, short videos, and a very popular exhibition that features voices from the past sharing personal experiences.
Rumored to be a source of paranormal activity, this national historic landmark is the only preserved blast furnace in the United States. Though no longer in use, the early 20th century engines and boilers were pivotal in bringing Birmingham into the Industrial Revolution. Nowadays, it’s been converted into a museum to teach people about its history and the history of industry.
Built in 1927 by Paramount Pictures, the theatre was once a Hollywood movie palace that seated nearly 2,500 people. But it’s not only for watching movies anymore; everyone from BB King to Alice Cooper to Willie Nelson has performed on its grand stage.
Established as a revolutionary car facility in 1929, Iron City takes the concept of “dinner and a show” to a whole new level. The historic space has been redesigned as a multi-purpose venue that now houses three concert stages, two bars, and one restaurant.
Birmingham Museum of Art
This museum, spanning across numerous time periods and traditions, is home to a multitude of arts perfect for any culture enthusiast. The first Thursday of each month is reserved for an after-hours atmosphere where locals can roam the galleries, mingle with cocktails, watch a flick, or enjoy hors d’oeuvres from the museum restaurant.
Located in downtown Birmingham, this dreary 1930s underpass has been transformed into a rainbow of light. The public art installation featured here, entitled “LightRails,” is meant to encourage foot traffic within the city center. The many LED lights come in different colors and patterns, which beautifully enhance the original Art Deco styled arches.
Birmingham Botanical Gardens
Home to almost 70 acres of beautiful plant life, these gardens preserve various species while educating locals and tourists alike. The many themed gardens are a perfect place to spend the day. Some of the highlights include the Japanese Gardens, Moon Tree, Herb Terrace, and Conservatory.
For the past fifteen years, the farmer’s market at Pepper Place has connected neighborhood family farms to the citizens of Birmingham. Find fresh seasonal produce, eggs, meats, cheeses, and more while shopping here. The market also showcases the work of local artists and craftsmen, and presents featured chef demonstrations and musical performances.
Opened in 2013, this new addition brings downtown Birmingham to life. Enjoy a game played by the Birmingham Barons in an modern, fun venue that features views of the city skyline and Red Mountain. Regions also offers family fun for those who want to be a part of the action rather than sitting on the bench.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.