Foley, Alabama, exudes southern charm. Situated along the Gulf Coast, it is perfect for experiencing beautiful ocean views and water activities. In addition to the Museum & Archives, Model Train Exhibit, and historic downtown, Foley has a wealth of culinary excellence. The rustic, homey interiors of its restaurants are the perfect accompaniment to the traditional southern recipes they serve. Foley is also becoming increasingly international in its selection of cuisine.
Fish River Grill
You can’t miss a place like this if you are going to be traveling in coastal Alabama. Advertised as a ‘funky, junky redneck joint,’ you’re bound to find lots of locals. The interior décor consists of retired fishing gear hung artfully. Fishermen themselves frequent this place, adding an air of authenticity to the ambiance. The seafood platter contains all the essentials, including huge portions of fried catfish, shrimp, oysters, hush puppies, and fries. No matter what you decide, rest assured that all seafood is cooked fresh to order. The famous swamp soup comes with every order, and it’s definitely not an element of Fish River Grill to be missed. Oh, and get the beignet for dessert. Seafood’s not your thing? Don’t fear, Fish River Grill also offers a variety of other fare, including great burgers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Down South Barbeque
In the South, it is crucial to treat yourself to some barbecue. Down South Barbeque offers the real deal. Dig into huge slabs of tender ribs slathered in homemade barbecue sauce, smoked beef brisket, or whole barbecue rotisserie chickens. One of this joint’s specialties is the cornbread sandwich: BBQ pork and coleslaw between two pieces of cornbread. Takeout is recommended, since the place spends more time on smoking huge portions of meat than it does on décor. There are picnic tables outside where you can enjoy your finger-lickin’-good BBQ on a balmy night on the Gulf shore.
John’s Gyro & Mediterranean Food
If you’re looking for something different, try John’s Gyro and Mediterranean Food. The Mediterranean platter, a crowd favorite, includes hummus drizzled in fresh olive oil, hearty slices of souvlaki, fried halloumi, falafel, roasted eggplant, spanakopita, Greek salad, and warm pita bread. John’s also offers innovative twists on the traditional gyro, like the Gyro Teriyaki and the Gyro Philly. There is a good deal of vegetarian fare, too, like the cucumber feta gyro & stuffed grape leaves. The crispy, sweet Baklava rounds out the meal.
If you’re tired from enjoying the many water activities that Foley has to offer, check out Dragon City for take out. The restaurant serves American-style Chinese food, like dumplings, egg rolls, and sesame chicken. Beyond these options, the menu has a variety of spicier and more authentic offerings, as well, including curry, moo goo gai pan, and subgum wontons. This place is great for vegan and vegetarian travelers, something that can be hard to accommodate in the Deep South.
Ichiban Japanese Steak House
Get your sushi fix in this upscale Japanese hibachi restaurant. Ichiban Japanese Steak House provides expertly prepared Japanese delicacies as well as dinner entertainment; all you have to do is bring your appetite. The hibachi chefs are highly skilled and engaging. A crowd favorite in the hibachi show is the onion volcano. What’s more is that each specialty sushi roll comes with a complementary regular roll. There is always great emphasis placed on presentation, resulting in intricate arrangements of sushi and sauce. Expect a crowd on weekends.
Self-proclaimed ‘best-kept secret in Foley,’ Gelato Joe’s is an Italian restaurant and delicatessen. You are sure to find Italian favorites like paninis, pasta, and Stromboli, as well as awesome desserts, including cannolis, cheesecake, bread pudding, and, of course, gelato. It is a spacious establishment with ample deck seating. The Tiki Deck Bar is open every weekday and features karaoke. The bar also serves cocktails and a variety of beers, making this place a festive one for the younger folk.
Lambert’s Café serves genuine southern comfort food. Menu items include mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy, baked potatoes, collard greens, fried okra, chicken pot pie, fried chicken, cornbread, and black-eyed peas. Vintage memorabilia adorns just about every inch of the walls, allowing visitors to relish Foley’s past. Lambert’s is a family style restaurant, meaning that it’s a welcoming environment for people of all ages. The jovial staff throws rolls to its patrons as restaurant tradition dictates, so heads up! The bright red bow ties are a fun added touch. At the gift shop, you can buy apple butter, sorghum, and t-shirts. Cash or checks only!
Stacey Rexall Drugs & Old Tyme Soda Fountain
Stacey Rexall Drugs & Old Tyme Soda Fountain is like traveling back in time to small-town America in the roaring 1920s. It is a delightful little place for a light lunch. There is a model train that runs continuously around the shop at ceiling level and model planes that hang from the ceiling. The soda fountain offers malts and milkshakes, sundaes and floats, as well as hot dogs, hamburgers, PB&Js, and barbecue. All ice cream products are whipped by hand. With charming, wire-backed chairs and café tables, you’ll really feel like you’re in an old-fashioned American soda fountain and drug store. It also doubles as a family-owned pharmacy, with a small pharmaceutical museum that is worth exploring during your visit
By Lily Cichanowicz
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.