Five Points, located in Birmingham’s south side, is a center of bohemian culture, providing lively entertainment and nightlife for residents. Aside from the bars there are a great deal of restaurants in Five Points that serve delicious food, and even showcase art or have live performances. Check out our list to discover a few of the best local places to dine out.
Highlands Bar and Grill
Featured in over thirty publications, including The New York Times Magazine, Esquire, and Bon Appétit, it’s no secret that Highlands is the best. Everything on the menu promises to be a gastronomic delight and, with over 300 labels of wine, it’s the perfect spot for any wine connoisseur. Visiting Highlands is quite the experience, and definitely one you don’t want to miss.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hot and Hot Fish Club
This modern restaurant brilliantly melds classic French cuisine with Southern favorites and California-style twists. The culinary work of Hot and Hot’s Chef Hastings has won numerous awards and been featured in publications such as Time Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and more. Enjoy some of the city’s best dishes in an intimate atmosphere. The fresh fish is a specialty, but the entrée menu features non-seafood dishes like chicken, duck, pasta, and more.
The Fish Market Restaurant
The Fish Market in Five Points has an extensive menu of seafood dishes; select from over fifteen types of fish and shellfish and choose how you want in prepared. In a sandwich? In a pasta? In a salad? This restaurant offers all of that and more. Open everyday of the week, enjoy your dish with a classic southern side dish, including black eyed peas, collards, and fried pickles. No matter your preference, if you’re craving seafood, the Fish Market is the place to go for the freshest and finest fish in town.
Enjoy authentic tastes of Thailand at Surin West. This establishment not only offers traditional Thai cuisine, but also a full sushi bar and a surplus of specials, to guarantee that you get the right dining experience for your dollar. For the adventurous types, many of the dishes are hot, hot, hot! If you’ve got a taste for spicy, this restaurant might just become your favorite.
Galley and Garden
Once the historic Merritt House, the restaurant is warm and inviting, like stepping into a friend’s home. The food is fresh and innovative, and the menu changes along with the seasons, which is perfect since they support local farmers and vendors. With a separate menu for each meal of the day, including bar snacks and desserts, dining here is like stepping into a modern French countryside.
Black Market Bar & Grill
This themed gastro pub kills the competition with their perfectly crafted menu. Sample burgers, nachos, wings, and more classic bar foods. Enjoy craft beer and other libations during happy hour or with dinner. Depending on which night you dine at Black Market, you may stumble upon trivia, bingo, or other fun themed nights. Swing by on Sunday for a special brunch menu.
Little Italy’s Pies & Pints
This family owned business has quickly become a Five Points favorite. Order handcrafted pizza by the slice or get the whole pie to share, and enjoy local craft beer in a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Check out the other Italian eats on the menu, such as pasta, calzones, sandwiches, and chicken specialty plates. Dine in with friends, or take a custom pie home to the family.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.