Birmingham is one of Alabama’s biggest cities, and each neighborhood within it has something to offer. Downtown Birmingham is no different, and contains some of the best restaurants in the city. Read our list to discover the best places to eat food in Downtown Birmingham.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Todd English P.U.B.
Todd English’s Public Urban Bar is a modern take on classic English pub food, which also features a raw bar for fresh seafood and a smokehouse for delicious carved meats. During happy hour, get sliders, wings, and oysters all for under $5. Complement your meal with ice-cold beer, Todd English’s offers over 50 international brews.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
John’s City Diner
Diner food is typically fast, cheap, and greasy, but John’s City Diner gives you delicious food at a great price that’s more gourmet than greasy. Made only with organic or local produce and hormone free meat, the food at John’s is yummy and fresh. Try traditional diner grub like chicken and waffles and tater tots, or class it up with a glass of wine and a big salad.
Five is the magic number at this restaurant and bar, with only five locations (one being in Birmingham), this lounge caters to those looking to simplify their dining experience. The menu features five options for each category, including snacks, entrees, cocktails, wine, beer, and dessert. Five Bar offers great value and great prices for the indecisive eater.
Address and Telephone:744 29th Street S. Birmingham, AL, USA
Many don’t think about pizza as fine dining, but Slice takes it to a whole new level. The pizza is made with fresh, locally grown ingredients in a stone oven. Beer traditionally compliments pizza, and Slice has nearly fifty different brews on the menu. Also try fresh salads, other traditional Mediterranean and Italian dishes, and wine from their extensive list of labels.
Another Broken Egg
Eggs are the feature food at this breakfast café, who knew that one egg could be so versatile? Enjoy omelettes, scrambles, and even burgers and salads that feature eggs as a main ingredient. But breakfast and brunch isn’t only about eggs, no matter how good they may be! Try pancakes, grits, potatoes, a surplus of meats, and more. Unique and creative, Another Broken Egg goes out of it’s way to innovate something new and special just for you.
Beginning with sports bar favorite Paramount, and then local Mexican joint El Barrio, the owners of these established Birmingham restaurants opened yet another great venture at Trattoria. Pizza, pasta, soups, and salads are what this place does best. They even do Sunday brunch and other weekly specials. Dine for your dollar at this inexpensive gem.
This restaurant is overwhelming in a good way, patrons are treated to seven different menus to choose from, including gluten-free, brunch, and a separate menu for Latin and American foods. The decor is festive and bright, the food tasty and spicy, and famous singer Bob Dylan has even spoken out about how the restaurant is one of his personal favorites. If he likes it, you will too!
This downtown bar and restaurant serves all the senses, the decor features ‘distressed wood and custom iron work’ complimented by authentic Mexican street art. The food is mouthwatering and the smell wafts right out to the front patio, where patrons can enjoy a margarita or cold beer. Be sure to swing by for brunch on a warm Southern Saturday morning.
One of the many things that’s great about Urban Cookhouse is that they support local farmers and buy only the freshest produce, meats, and homemade products. Enjoy traditional sandwiches and salads, or try something unique like their grilled peanut butter fluff or orange rolls. There’s even a special take-home menu that features large quantities of restaurant favorites that are perfect to take home to the whole family.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.