Choosing the right hotel is crucial for a successful family holiday. Parents and kids want to interact, but also need some time for themselves, so a good daily activities program can make all the difference. Whether you want to get adventurous at Xel-Há or simply float in the pool, these top family-friendly hotels in Playa del Carmen have the key elements for an unforgettable experience.
Situated on the shores of the Caribbean Sea and close to downtown Playa del Carmen, this all-inclusive coastal resort offers fun for the whole family. Kids will love Camp Jack, a daytime activity center filled with mini golf, water sports, arts and crafts and more. For teens, the #Hashtag club promises to keep them on their toes, with arcade games and ping pong among the mix of activities on offer. Taking things at a slower pace, the spa offers a slice of tranquility for the parents, with a chocolate body wrap being one of the more sensual treatments.
If you’re looking for some adrenaline-pumping action on your next vacation, check into the Hotel Xcaret Mexico. The resort’s All-Fun Inclusive package grants you complimentary access to nine parks, with activities to suit all ages and abilities. For the more adventurous, there’s the opportunity to go ziplining or monster truck driving or, if you’re looking to take it easy, a peaceful ride down Xel-Há’s lazy river should fit the bill. Back at the plush resort, there are 12 restaurants to replenish your energy levels; if you’re after a spot of pampering, the spa is worth checking out with treatment rooms housed within caves.
You’ll feel in safe hands at this AAA Five Diamond Thai-inspired beach resort that sits within the Mayakobis development where there are several other upscale hotels. During booking, you can customize your villa to meet your family’s needs, with things like high chairs and steam sterilizers installed before your stay. If you’re looking for family-friendly activities, this place has you covered with archery, kayaking and nature trails on your doorstep. For tiny tots, the kids club is open to all, and there is a summer camp for older kids, with movie nights and cooking classes to keep them busy. For adults, the resort also serves as a playground, with romantic boat cruises, spa treatments and tequila tastings to tackle.
Unwind, unplug and reconnect with family at this all-inclusive spot where there’s an impressive spread of amenities, from a welcome glass of bubbly to complimentary baby strollers. Don’t forget to pack your swimming gear here, as there are seven outdoor pools to skip between, including a heated pool for adults only, and a children’s pool at the Kids Club Playhouse. On the food front, you’re equally spoiled for choice, with 15 restaurants and bars taking your tastebuds on a trip around the world. Savor Tuscan-style cuisine at Arezzo, or head to La Casa de Rosa for some authentic Mexican fodder.
Be a willing castaway at this top-rated eco lodge that is sandwiched between tropical forest and white sand shores. There are 401 rooms scattered across the property, with bright and colorful interiors evoking the Mexican spirit. The kids club is another highlight when it comes to interior design, with playful jungle-inspired murals adorning the walls. Children will be happy exploring here while you take some time out to relax in the salubrious spa or on the beach, and there are professional babysitters on hand as well.
This hotel is quite a sight to behold, with its dazzling white facade rearing up from the sugar-like sands. Children and adults alike are catered to, with the resort’s all-inclusive service. There’s a daily daytime entertainment program tailored to different ages and a smorgasbord of snacks served around the clock. After dipping into some activities, cool off in one of the four pools. There’s a swim-up bar in one for the grown-ups and slides in another for the youngsters.
Soak up the serene atmosphere at Rosewood Mayakoba, where relaxation is the word of the day. This family-friendly resort is framed by nature, with slick suites and villas nestled among green mangroves and emerald lagoons. There’s also a beautiful stretch of white sand to be enjoyed, along with the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea. Here, you will also find the adults-only dining spot Aquí Me Quedo. While grown-ups enjoy a beverage or two, the Rosewood Explorers kids club caters to younger holiday-makers with yoga classes and cookie-making tutorials among the activities on offer.
Tucked away on a sheltered bay, the Royal Haciendas offers guests all the comforts of a high-end, all-inclusive resort. There are special activities for adults to spend time together – from spa sessions to rounds of golf – and youngsters will love the gentle surf, daily activities and kids club. A perk of this hotel is that you can take advantage of the facilities at its two sister properties, the Royal Cancun and the Royal Sands in Cancun, with a free shuttle running between all three.
Every member of the family is catered to at this expansive all-inclusive hotel. While adults sip cocktails in one of the many bars or break a sweat in the fitness center, children can play to their heart’s content at the kids club. The beach is a hive of activity for all ages, with volleyball, snorkeling and swimming with dolphins among the activities you can enjoy. Come nightfall, this hotel turns into an entertainment hub. Watch a breakdancing show or enjoy a Mexican fiesta.
Travelers praise the activities on offer for both adults and kids at this smart five-star resort, along with its impeccable beach. For younger guests, there is a state-of-the-art kids zone, where there are workshops and games to be enjoyed. For the parents, there are water sports, fitness classes and an adults-only pool to indulge in. In the evening, expect a vibrant mix of live music, traditional Mayan shows and pool parties.
Enjoy direct beach access at this attractive coastal hotel, where there’s something to suit all ages. There are specially designed family-friendly rooms located in the heart of the all-inclusive resort. The king junior suites, which can accommodate up to two adults and three children, feature in-room jacuzzis and private balconies looking out over the swimming pool and jungle foliage. Kick off your vacation with trip to the spa, where there are also treatments for kids, from “crab” manicures to “dolphin” body wraps.
Immerse yourself in nature at this beachside eco resort and enjoy some thrilling activities at the same time. Nine different excursions are included in the all-inclusive plan, from kayaking through the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea to jungle biking. Another perk of a stay here is free access to the Sandos Aquapark, where there are water slides galore. After a jam-packed day, the eco family suites make for a comfortable place to unwind, with interiors inspired by the jungle and a plunge pool right on your private balcony.
Kylie Madry contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.