Characterized by the bright blue waters of the Sea of Cortez, the elegant palms and thronging cafes that line the city’s boardwalk, or malecón, and the arid landscape peppered with giant cacti on the fringes of town, La Paz in Baja California offers an authentic taste of Mexico. After a day of sailing around the bay or beyond, there is no better way to toast your La Paz adventure than with a traditional cocktail at one of the malecón’s bars as the sun dips into the sea. Then as night descends, there’s plenty of partying to be had. Here we reveal how to let your hair down in this characterful seaside city.
Dip into La Paz and experience its party scene.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Which bars are the best to visit and why?
The city of La Paz might feel worlds away from the lively resort of Cabo San Lucas in the south, but this unassuming eastern coast city still packs a punch, with traditional Mexican hospitality and locals keen to share their hometown with visitors. Among the best hot spots is Elbuen Bar. Just off the promenade, it’s regularly frequented by locals, a sure-fire sign that the cocktails are top-notch. La Terraza is another bar right on the malecón and offers a dreamy vista through the palms, right out to sea. With colorful interiors and exceptionally large glasses of margaritas, it’s the ideal place to spend an evening watching the sun setting behind smiling tourists posing next to the landmark La Paz sign. Captain’s Sunset Bar is another go-to for a sundowner drink, with live music and sweeping views over the bay, as well as tequila tastings. The bar also offers sunset cruises onboard their resident catamaran, the Baja Cat. At sea, guests can sip on rum punch cocktails. El Parnazo is another firm favorite, with an urban feel and a vast selection of drinks to enjoy, including original concoctions from the bartenders. At Cotorritos, right on the malecón, you’ll find a vibrant atmosphere and live music from sundown until late.
The best drinks and cocktails in La Paz
A refreshing and zingy margarita is the go-to in Mexico, but in La Paz, there is an array of other specialist drinks favored by the locals. A La Paz classic is the Michelada – a heady mix of beer and lime, spices, and tomato juice. La Paz’s premier mezcaleria, La Miserable, offers an extensive selection of traditional mezcals to try too, either neat or as a mezcal-based cocktail, served by staff who know their spirits. For local beer, keep your eyes peeled for Baja Brewing, the original craft beer company from the south of the region, boasting numerous awards to its name. Its crafty creations can be also found at Harker Board Co, an easy-going establishment right on the malecón with a kayak rental shop attached. Damiana is an herbal liqueur made with the eponymous herb from the BCS region and one to look out for in La Paz. Its light and sweet flavor make it perfect for drinking in a margarita.
How to get to La Paz?
Getting to La Paz from the UK involves a layover after flying from one of the UK’s major airports. From Mexico City International Airport, it’s a short two-house flight to La Paz’s Manuel Márquez de León International Airport. If you plan your flight to layover in the US, some southwestern cities, such as Dallas and Phoenix, offer direct flights on American Airlines into La Paz. Alternatively, Los Cabos International Airport has direct flights from a broader range of major cities in the US, including Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Chicago. From there, it is a two-hour drive to La Paz and there are plenty of car rental companies or shuttle van services to choose from. By boat, from Cabo San Lucas to La Paz can take a few days, with a few idyllic places to drop anchor along the way. One place to stop along the way is Los Frailles, a destination with great snorkeling and opportunities to swim among the manta rays in the middle of the Parque Nacional Cabo Pulmo.
Explore the shoreline beyond La Paz – no sailing experience necessary.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.