In every country in the world there are at least a few no-go topics of conversation. As a foreigner, offering your opinion on the country’s political leaders and history is a pretty universal faux pas, for example. While Mexicans are famously welcoming and easy-going, there are definitely a few things you should avoid saying as a guest.
When it comes to language, you should remember that the Spanish word “estupido,” or stupid, is much stronger and should never be used lightly. It is also useful to remember that the verb “coger” (to take) has a sexual connotation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When it comes to geography, you should bear in mind that Mexico is in North America, rather than Central or South America.
With regards to money, you should steer clear of asking how much people make – personal finances are a private matter in Mexico.
But there is one thing above all that you should avoid saying in Mexico, partly because it can offend and partly because it could result in you missing out on one of the country’s most celebrated selling-points:
“I don’t like Mexican food.”
People can be quite sensitive when it comes to the topic of Mexican food as the country’s culinary culture is an important source of national pride. Mexicans are not the only people to recognize the merits of their cuisine; UNESCO added Mexican food to its cultural heritage list in 2010.
So while you may be dismissive of Taco Bell’s greasy burritos, bear in mind that UNESCO has other ideas: “Traditional Mexican cuisine is a comprehensive cultural model comprising farming, ritual practices, age-old skills, culinary techniques and ancestral community customs and manners.”
Corn, beans and chili are staples in Mexican cuisine, and quality ingredients such as tomatoes and avocados are in ample supply.
What’s more, Mexico is a vast country, and this size is reflected in its culinary culture. Each of its diverse regions uses very different ingredients and cooking techniques, so it is best to avoid narrow-minded generalisations.
Mexican culinary cultures
There are a wide range of different culinary cultures and styles vying for the foodie’s attention in Mexico. Oaxacan Food is notably unique and delicious. Here you’ll find Mayan and Aztec recipes fused with Spanish ingredients, as well as unusual delicacies such as grasshoppers or flying ants.
The Baja Med movement from (Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula) has also been grabbing the international spotlight in recent years. It is a unique blend of influences including Asian, Mediterranean, and Mexican flavors, and is now available throughout Mexico in some of the main tourist destinations.
UNESCO focused much of its praise for Mexican cuisine on the “Michoacan Paradigm,” which involves the participation of the community in the entire food chain, from planting to eating. The organization said that Mexican cuisine was “elaborate and symbol-laden,” and the knowledge of locals cooks “express community identity, reinforce social bonds, and build stronger local, regional and national identities.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.