You are ready for a little lovers’ escape and San Miguel de Allende – the home of orange-tinted dusks, old-fashioned houses and cobblestone streets – sounds just right. Here are some tips for planning the romantic trip of your dreams, in one of Mexico’s most scenic locations.
Breakfast at Casa Blanca
The new Casa Blanca Hotel, right in the heart of San Miguel’s downtown, is a great little spot for an intimate breakfast for two on their sunny central patio. Their delicious Mediterranean menu has yet to be discovered by the crowds, so go now and you will be one of the few leisurely brunchers soaking up the sun in this 200-year-old colonial mansion.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A garden lunch
Enjoy a French-bistro-inspired vibe at the countryside restaurant El Vergel Bistro, just outside town. What was once farmland is now an enchanting restaurant with an outdoor garden, where you can stare into the eyes of your beloved under the massive mesquite tree, enjoying classic French onion soup or duck confit.
A poolside dinner
Good food options abound in San Miguel, but why not try out a classic like Moxi, in the fabulously chic Matilda Hotel? The menu was originally created by famous Mexican chef Enrique Olvera and we promise that a poolside dinner with cool, blue lighting will put you in the mood for skinny dipping later.
A luxury night in
Dos Casas Hotel is the peak of luxury boutique hotels in San Miguel. The service is friendly and professional and their fine-dining restaurant, Áperi, has lots of corners to get cozy with your loved one. Be sure to reserve a room with a private patio and Jacuzzi for two. The glittering rooftops of San Miguel and a little bubbly make for a perfect romantic night in.
A stroll through nature
The breathtaking collection of native species at the Charco de Ingenio reserve is a lovely place for a stroll hand-in-hand. The park hugs the town’s dam, which brims with local flora and fauna – twittering birds and dramatic, flowering cacti. Linger enough to catch the sunset and you have the perfect place to profess your love.
Cocktails with a view at sunset
Casa de los Angelitos has one of the most priceless views of the San Miguel sunset, located in the colonial city of Atascadero. Reserve a night in one of their luxurious yet quirky suites and enjoy delicious food and a sunset cocktail with a view that will take your breath away.
Skip town for a day trip
If you’d like to get out of San Miguel for the day, head to Guanajuato. Its charming, mountainside eateries and colourful streets will win your heart over. Make sure to kiss in the Callejón del Beso and take some time to watch the seniors sway to danzón in the central plaza under the trees.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.