The heavenly travel destinations of Cancun hold the history of an ancient culture within the walls of its buildings. They saw the rise and the fall of an empire of excellent scientists and astronomers. Their culture is reflected in its murals and sculptures, and that’s why visiting the archeological zones of the Riviera Maya is an unforgettable adventure. Let yourself be captivated by pyramids next to crystal waters and the breathtaking views of Cancun and its surroundings.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This impressive archeological site is one of the most important ceremonial centers located in the Yucatán, divided into The Old Chichén (800-100 BC) and The New Chichén (1000-1200 AD). Considered a Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1988. Every year, great numbers of people come to observe the amazing spectacle produced by the effects of the sunshine and shadow during the spring and autumn equinoxes: Kukulkan (God of the Wind), descending along The Temple of the Warriors. Take a night tour to walk around the pyramids and watch the show of lights and colors while listening to its incredible story.
You cannot pass by without noticing this archeological site located to the north of Cancun, in the Bay of Isla Mujeres (seven kilometers from the hotel zone). Even though its pyramids are smaller than other sites, it was an important place for navigation. The sand at the site indicates just how close it is from the shore of the beach. The long tree roots covering part of the pyramids are witnesses to the passage of time. Climb to the top of the El Castillo pyramid, the highest one of this region – you will see a stunning view of Isla Mujeres and the crystal waters of the Mexican Caribbean.
San Miguelito and El Rey
These are two sites that used to be connected in the past, but they’re now separated by Kukulkan Boulevard; however, a single bus can get you there in a few minutes. San Miguelito was the most important construction in the area, a place for fishing and agriculture composed of four buildings; the highest one, Chaak Palace, was designed for public functions. In the rest of the buildings, the remains from more than 50 human burials were found. On the other hand, El Rey has 47 structures, and it is believed that the first settlers inhabited wooden houses with palm roofs. Visit these sites and feel the fusion of Mayan culture and contemporary Mexico.
Ruins, Historical Landmark, Archaeological site
Upon entering this archaeological zone, you feel as if you are traveling into the past and entering a great Mayan city (it spanned 12 km of territory in its era). One of the less popular sites – at least for now – Ek’ Balam has the best-preserved buildings as well as beautiful paintings and sculptures from the Mayan culture. Its biggest construction is La Acropolis, which is 146 meters high and has an impressive tomb called Ukit Kan Le’k Tok. Take the challenge and climb to the top to gaze out from above at all of its buildings and the Mayan Ball Game Court.
Archaeological site, Ruins
One of the most important Mayan sites in Mexico, Uxmal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to the magnificence of its architecture and sculptures. Located in Santa Elena, Yucatan, it is the most representative city of the Puuc architectonic style. Uxmal means “three times built,” and one of those times is explained in “The Legend of the Dwarf,” that tells the story of a dwarf born from an egg who bet the governor that he could built a pyramid in just one night. The pyramid was built, and the dwarf became the new governor. The constructions are expansive: the El Adivino pyramid is 32 meters high, and the Governor Palace spreads out over 1,200 square meters.
Amusement Park, Park
These ruins are situated at only 75 Km from Cancun, in Xcaret Park, where tourists and locals enjoy the heavenly natural sceneries while learning about the history of an ancestral civilization. Although the meaning of Xcaret is still unknown, we do know that in the pre-Hispanic period, it was called “Polé,” translated as merchandise. The architecture and ceramics reveal a high level of cultural development. The harbor was the main port of embarcation to Cozumel, where Mayans used to worship Ixchel, the Goddess of the Moon. Every year in May, Xcaret Park holds a special event to recreate the story through a ritual ceremony.
This archaeological zone mixes history with a dazzling view of the Mexican Caribbean. Located on a cliff facing the sea of Quintana Roo, the ruins enclosed the memory of the Spanish conquest. What is now a stunning tourist destination used to be a city of astronomers, sailors, merchants, and meteorologists. Take a look of the three temples and the mural paintings of supernatural beings from the Underworld. When you finish, you might want to head down to the shore to swim in the most wonderful beach in the Riviera Maya.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.