With its stunning beaches, boundless wildlife watching opportunities and world-class surf, Baja California’s historical and cultural side can sometimes be overlooked. However, for those looking to delve deeper into the peninsula’s rich culinary, art and cultural history, a walking tour is a great place to start. Here’s our pick of the best.
Tijuana Taco Tour
Arguably once an unappealing destination for travellers, today Tijuana is undergoing an impressive cultural revival. Craft breweries, hip coffee shops and outdoor food markets are just some of the things drawing crowds over the border. But the biggest sell here remains what Tijuana has always done best: street food tacos. Considered amongst Mexico’s best, there are several tour operators running Tijuana taqueria crawls showcasing the best tacos the town has to offer whilst giving you an interesting insight into Tijuana’s unlikely history. Tijuana Walking Tour and Wild Foodie Tours come highly recommended.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tijuana Mezcal and Beer Tour
Following in the tracks of its brewing neighbour San Diego, Tijuana is slowly establishing itself as a big player on the craft beer scene. While many breweries in the city serve the ever-popular hoppy IPAs, they’re also experimenting with their own ingredients and techniques to create beers with a true Mexican flair. To really get involved, take one of Tijuana Tour’s Mezcal and Beer walking tours, where you’ll be sampling some of Tijuana’s best brews and Oaxacan Mezcals around Plaza Fiesta.
Ensenada Foodie Walking Tour
With its incredible fresh fish and nearby wineries, Ensenada is a foodie’s heaven – and has even started to attract some of Mexico’s best chefs. A great way (maybe even the only way) to explore this city is through its amazing street food flavours: think mouth-watering fish tacos, fresh ceviche tostadas and piping hot churros. Juan More Taco Tours offer fantastic walking tours, where you’ll explore downtown Ensenada by sampling all the best street food stalls, markets and locals-only restaurants whilst learning about the city’s culinary and broader history. They also offer similar tours in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo and Playa del Carmen.
Todos Santos History Tour
Located just an hour and a half’s drive from La Paz, Todos Santos is considered to be one of Baja’s most picturesque towns. Dainty coffee houses, artisan shops, independent galleries and beautiful colonial boutique hotels have been drawing travellers and expats here since the early 90s – and is today a highlight of any Baja South itinerary. What many visitors don’t know, however, is that Todos Santos guards a fascinating history spanning almost 400 years. The best way to learn about it is by taking one of Todos Santos Eco Aventures’ (TOSEA) Historical Town Tour. Expert guide Sergio Jauregui takes you on a two-hour walk around the town’s most historic buildings and sights, as well as a peek into the coolest galleries and artists’ studios in town. Tours only depart on selected days and are subject to group numbers, so email or call up ahead of time.
San José del Cabo Art Walk
Every Thursday evening (5 – 9 pm) between the months of November – June, San José’s busy Obregon Street is closed to traffic, allowing tourists to stroll the pretty, art-filled Gallery District backstreets at ease – an initiative created by the government to encourage visitors to explore beyond San Jose’s main square. Every week there are various events, including gallery openings, ‘artist in attendance’ sessions, and lively performances. There are also plenty of hip wine bars and delicious farm-to-table restaurants lining the lively streets, so make an evening of it
Historical & Cultural Tour of San José del Cabo
When people think of the Cabos corridor, crazy conga lines and strong margaritas come to mind. However, what not many know is that San San José del Cabo, the laid-back, artsy sister of party town Cabo San Lucas, is full of fascinating history, legends and culture. The best way to explore the quaint cobbled streets here is on a guided walking tour with Free Tour Cabo, where, during a 1.5-hour walk, they’ll tell you everything from how the Indians lived here almost 7,000 years ago, to how pirates and the Spanish conquistadors ransacked the town and made it what it is today. The tour is completely free to attend (the normal custom is to tip the guide at the end what you think the tour was worth). Just turn up at their meeting point on Álvaro Obregón Street, between Jose Maria Morelos and Miguel Hidalgo Street.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.