Traveling can be more than just seeing the sights and eating good food. If you’re heading to Mexico soon, check out these great volunteering opportunities that will allow you to learn more about the local people from the cities you visit and will be much more fulfilling than just laying on the beach or shopping all day.
Los Médicos Voladores
If you have some medical expertise, why not put it to work by serving under-privileged communities in rural Northern Mexico? Los Médicos Voladores is a network of doctors, pilots, and volunteers that set up free medical clinics in California, Mexico, Haiti, and Guatemala to help local residents with dental, visual, or primary health care in areas where little medical attention in available.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Flora, Fauna y Cultura de México
To get your hands dirty and visit one of the country’s most beautiful places—the Yucatán Peninsula—contact the Flora, Fauna y Cultura organization based out of Playa del Carmen. The organization has various projects that can use your help, including working in a greenhouse, for turtle conservation, and at the La Ceiba Park. Though the organization is widespread, each facet focuses on preserving the natural beauty and diversity of this gorgeous Mexican region.
Volunteers for Peace
VFP has been around since 1982 and has a solid reputation for hosting volunteers throughout the world. Though volunteering with them does come at a cost, it’s a more reasonable fee than that of other organizations. VFP offers English-teaching and conservation opportunities, as well as construction and community development projects. During your time with the project, you’ll be supported and guided by a VFP staff member. Prices for joining range from $772 to $886 USD (£551 to £633 GBP), and include meals and accommodation. There is also a registration fee of $500 USD (£357 GBP) for all projects.
If you have a heart for helping the differently-abled, why not spend some time at Piña Palmera in Oaxaca? Piña Palmera is a project that houses handicapped persons and helps to develop and provide the resources they need. Volunteers are involved in the daily processes of running the Piña Palmera center and can get involved in many of the activities that go on there. You don’t have to have any training to work with this organization—just bring an open heart.
Fundación en Vía
This Oaxaca-based non-profit provides financial loans to local women in order to help them set up their own businesses. As a volunteer, you can be an English-language teachers or volunteer as a tour guide by taking groups of foreigners out to visit the women to talk about their businesses and future plans. These visitors also have the chance to support these women by purchasing their wares.
Centro Infantil de los Ángeles
This children’s refuge in San Miguel de Allende takes on volunteers to support its regularly paid staff in creating loving, safe spaces for children who are vulnerable and marginalized. While some children do live at the center, it’s mostly a place where the children of poor, single mothers can stay and be nurtured while their mothers are at work. If you love working with children, this is a great opportunity. The Centro has recently merged with another local organization and information about them can be found here.
Oaxaca Streetchildren Grassroots
Oaxaca is one of Mexico’s poorest states and many rural families come from the countryside into the capital to find a better life. This means that many children are sent out to beg and sell to tourists instead of attending school. The Oaxaca Streetchildren Grassroots organization offers street kids an opportunity to go to school. Volunteers are welcome to help with the running of the center and the daily tasks involved in serving this very precarious sector of society.
IFRE is a big volunteer organization that places people all over the world who want to serve others in a foreign country. The group is highly rated and reviewed, and although they do charge a fee, it’s not as high as that of some other programs. Their volunteer opportunities available in Mexico include working at orphanages, teaching English, teaching disabled children, and sea turtle conservation.
Pronatura offers several conservation-focused programs in Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula. Among them are ecoturism programs, preservation of big cats and their habitats, sustainable management of gray whales in the Mexican Caribbean, and sustainable rural development. You can email them for information on the volunteer opportunities currently available.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.