As well as being known as a bustling locale, Mexico City is known for its food. Its markets are legendary, and its restaurants excellent, but it is in street food that Mexico truly shines. Follow your nose and eat where the locals eat, as The Culture Trip looks at the best street food stands in Mexico City.
Tacos al pastor are a Mexico City staple, al pastor meaning ‘in the style of a shepherd’. At El Huequito, the chilli pork is roasted on a revolving spit like a kebab. Served in a small tortilla with onion and coriander, these tacos are a taste of the city. El Huequito is an institution, running since 1959 from their small hole in the wall in Ayuntamiento, with a few more locations popping up around the city since. Huequito means hole-in-the-wall, and the straightforward, self-descriptive name reflects their delicious, but down-to-earth shepherd’s tacos.
Calle Ayuntamiento 21, Cuauhtémoc, Centro, Ciudad de México, D.F., Mexico, +52 55 5518 3313
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This little tin shack might look unassuming, but it is actually one of the best places in the city to sample the fruits of the sea. A quick glance at the clientèle provides a pretty decent cross-section of the local populace, from kids to older men to labourers out for lunch. Their ceviche (seafood salads served with lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, and some veggies) are the highlight, the dressing setting off the flavours of the fresh seafood.
Calle Ayuntamiento esquina con Calle López México, D.F., Mexico
Tostadas In Coyoacán
In the heart of Mercado de Coyoacán is a tostada stand. Tostadas are corn tortillas topped with something, anything. Think open-faced sandwich, but with a tortilla. At this stand, the toppings are heaped on. Try pork in mole, mole being a chocolately sauce that works surprisingly well with the succulent meat. Although there is a stand next door selling fruit water, try the horchata. If you’re in the area, perhaps to visit The Frida Kahlo Museum, spin by and spend a few pesos at this stall.
Ignacio Allende S/n, Del Carmen, Coyoacán, Ciudad de México, D.F., Mexico
Mercado De Medellín
Chicharrón are the Mexican equivalent of pork scratchings. Like their cousins, chicharrón can come in little foil bags, often with a sachet of hot sauce, but these aren’t what we’re talking about. Real chicharrón can be as large as a metre square, and are a common snack. The stall near the Mercado de Medellín entrance sells high-quality chicharrón, so sample the snack the way Mexico intended, Chipping small pieces off of a sheet of rind.
Medellín, Cuauhtémoc, Roma, Ciudad de México, D.F., Mexico
Aguas Frescas De Abuela
Aguas frescas can be found all over the city in hundreds of locations and even more flavours, but el Abuelo makes the best. This vendor has been setting up shop at Plátano Xochitl for dozens of years now, hence his name (it means ‘grandfather’). With at least 10 flavours on offer at any given time, it’s hard to find fault with either the quality or variety of the old man’s drinks.
Esquina con Av. José Ma. Morelos. Local 306 Y 307, Vicente Guerrero, El Rosario, Xochimilco, Ciudad de México, D.F., Mexico
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.