The thing about brunch in Mexico is that nobody seems to call it that – weekends here are simply for eating breakfast late, or sliding into lunch without noticing it. While you’ll find lots of US-style brunch items in restaurants in Mexico City, here’s our round-up of the more native options to start your day.
Chilaquiles are the shining star of brunch in Mexico. Though it really just amounts to breakfast nachos, when done right this dish will blow your mind and leave you with a hankering every day around 11am. Chilaquiles are fried tortilla chips (the good places fry their own) smothered in red or green salsa (watch out, it’s hot!), a slightly thinner sour cream simply called crema, crumbled fresh cheese and raw onions. You can order it with a fried egg on top, shredded chicken, thin braised beef or just eat the vegetarian version – no matter what, you’ll find yourself happy at the end of it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Freshly squeezed OJ
Never underestimate the power of the simple act of freshly squeezing your own juice. Lots of Latinos won’t even drink it if it comes out of a bottle or container! The ample availability of freshly squeezed OJ in Mexico (and mandarin or grapefruit juice mixed depending on the season) is one of the great culinary blessings of the country. Stands pop up on every corner during the weekend and weekdays, and you can get delicious juice for most of the morning and afternoon.
Conchas y nata
Once again, the magic is in doing this dish right. Conchas are a Mexican sweet bread, with a crumbly sugar topping which forms a solid crust on the top of the bread. The nata is Mexico’s version of clotted cream. Both of these items have to be made fresh for maximum enjoyment. Conchas tend to be a little dry in the mouth, so the clotted cream helps to balance out that sensation. A fresh concha with fresh nata is the height of luxury for Mexican brunch.
Usually an early morning weekday breakfast food, lots of restaurants serve special tamales for late-morning brunchers over the weekend. The variety of tamales that you can find across Mexico boggles the mind – with meat or without, sweet or savory, wrapped in a banana leaf or wrapped in a corn husk, tiny or massive, made with corn dough or rice meal, fresh and fluffy or deep-fried. It will take you months to try them all, so why not start this weekend?
Molletes are a favorite brunch food across the continent, and mostly likely came with the Spaniards with they colonized the Americas. In Mexico, molletes are a sliced and toasted bollilo (a type of Mexico sandwich roll) with a layer of refried beans, topped with cheese and served with a fresh chopped pico de gallo salsa with tomato, onion, cilantro and hot chile. The heat level of the pico de gallo is always up for grabs, so go easy at first!
Slow-roasted barbacoa is a weekend tradition in many parts of Mexico. The lamb or goat meat is usually cooked underground for 24 hours, slowly simmering away and coming out at the end soft as butter and with a distinctly gamey hint of flavor. Barbacoa is traditionally served with chipotle salsa and a bowl of consomme or broth made from the dripping of the meat and with a few garbanzos (chickpeas) or grains of rice thrown in.
The infamous enchilada is a breakfast food in Mexico (unlike the US where you will mostly find it as a daytime dish). Enchiladas are tortillas either dipped in salsa or smothered in it, filled with either meat – chicken or beef mostly – or just simply cheese. There are as many versions as their are residents in the country. You can get them with mole, green sauce, red sauce, bean sauce (need we go on?) and they are usually topped with crema and fresh cheese to balance out the heat.
Cheap spots on the street will serve you instant Nescafé, but get yourself into a fancy restaurant or a specialty coffee shop and you will find that Mexico is rediscovering its incredible coffee industry and finally keeping some of the good stuff for itself. Coffee from Veracruz is usually a little bit smoother with less acidity and Oaxacan and Chiapas beans a little bolder, but you really have to taste the brew to know for sure, so go ahead, order yourself a cup!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.