Mexican cuisine is world famous. Meats, vegetables, spices and condiments combined create the best of Mexican flavors. There are always classic flavors and innovative recipes being created in Mexico City’s world of gastronomy. For the perfect start to the day, watch out for the best brunch locations in the capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Café de Tacuba
In the heart of the Centro Histórico is a renowned café. Café de Tacuba has provided wonderful meals for its hungry guests since 1912. A place to eat emerged from a 17th-century ex-convent and became the café that is now so deeply rooted in Mexico’s traditions and history. The interior recalls the 18th century, with its large oil-paintings and wall hangings. The breakfast menu offers a wide selection of items, including Mexican favorites, to start the day with an explosion of flavor.
Above a bookstore overlooking the Zócalo and the Templo Mayor is the restaurant El Mayor, a peaceful wonder among Mexico City’s many cafés and restaurants. The spectacular view from the restaurant’s beautiful terrace is matched by the delicious flavors of the meals offered at El Mayor. The restaurant offers a menu which provides items to suit many different tastes, including Mexican traditional breakfasts, substantial American classics, sandwiches for a lighter option or fruits and juices for those looking for something healthier.
San Angel Inn
Located in an hacienda which dates back to the 17th century, San Angel Inn has become a favorite breakfast destination. The beauty of the location, alongside the pleasant atmosphere, has made this restaurant very popular. San Angel was once a monastery, then a center to produce pulque (an alcoholic beverage made from cacti), later a hotel with restaurant, and was even officially declared a ‘Colonial Monument’. San Angel Inn’s menu includes all types of eggs, typical to a Mexican breakfast, alongside other Mexican delicacies and delectable baked goods.
Located inside the Four Seasons Hotel and just a step away from the Chapultepec Park is the fantastic restaurant Reforma 500. Fusing a variety of contemporary Latin cuisines, this restaurant offers a massive range of items on five individual menus. Breakfast is served daily, with a breakfast buffet on Saturdays, while a champagne brunch is served on Sundays. With breakfast options from all over the world and a ‘healthy’ option, as well as the traditional fruit, pastries and hot beverages, Reforma 500 aims to please the taste-buds of anyone who steps through their doors.
Respecting and following traditional Mexican cooking methods is where the magic behind Nicos begins. The chefs aim to provide dishes of the highest quality at the same time as supporting small local producers. Having started off as a small cafeteria in 1957, Nicos became so successful that nowadays it is a busy restaurant, run by the Vázquez Lugo family. Breakfasts, which run until noon on weekdays, include everything from the old Mexican favorites to Nicos specials as well as fruits and juices. Nicos is the perfect restaurant for breakfast within sophisticated yet simple surroundings.
Café de Raíz
Café de Raíz is one of Mexico City’s hidden gems and one which outshines the rest. This modest café, run by Pola and Mardonio Carballo, is the place to go to experience everyday Mexican life. It fills with locals every morning who know that they cannot find better tamales than at Café de Raíz. The café offers the best of homely and simple breakfasts in the capital, with Veracruz-inspired cuisine.
Run by Enrique Olvera, the celebrated and prize-winning Mexican chef, the café Eno does not disappoint. High-quality and amazing flavors are a given, excellent service and a buzzing atmosphere only add to the breakfast experience. Using produce from local farmers, the dishes are made with only the freshest and flavorful ingredients while supporting fair and sustainable trade. The menus are innovative, they include soups, sandwiches, local cheeses and homemade pastries among other items, all prepared with the utmost care and attention to detail.
For a quick and healthy breakfast, head to Frutos Prohibidos. Since 2003, this deli-style café has been providing its customers with delicious, healthy food. The light and welcoming atmosphere, with a touch of hipster, makes it a pleasurable place to sit for a while in the morning, whether inside or out. The tempting menu offers all sorts of wraps, chilaques, salads and fruit juices, made using freshly picked ingredients.
In a true French-style, Maison Belén provides customers with delectable breakfasts and pastries. Constantly busy with customers, this little café offers tasty and freshly-made options, perfect for a satisfying breakfast or brunch. Located on a quiet street in Polanco, there is nothing more pleasant than sitting out in the shade on Maison Belén’s terrace with a delicious breakfast. This can consist of anything from pastries to eggs, with an impressive variety of teas and good-quality coffees, but generally, the cuisine is a brilliant fusion of French and Mexican.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.