Rooftop bars and pools, group-gathering games rooms and tours that take in tacos and tamales are all on the menu at these budget-friendly casas in Mexico City.
Finding a hotel that won’t blow your budget doesn’t mean sacrificing on style and substance in Mexico City. From renovated mansions in artsy areas to casas offering tequila tasting and ancestral medicine workshops, the Mexican capital’s budget-friendly places to stay lay on more than a few surprises.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Be Mate blends on-point amenities, comfort and privacy in a cool Condesa complex. Each of the 16 pastel-hued apartments here has a kitchen, living and dining space, bedroom and bathroom – and all guests have access to the building’s view-spying rooftop terrace, kitted out with Acapulco chairs, cushioned loungers, tables and even a parrilla (grill) for alfresco barbecue nights. The apartments are also just a few minutes from two of Mexico City’s major parks: Parque México and Parque España.
Macramé, rattan lighting and neutral tones tick all the boxes of modern Mexican design at Casa Pancha. It’s all in the detail here; furniture has been crafted by local artisans, and two communal areas, the balcony and el Patio de Pancha, create space to play board games, catch a movie and chill. It’s hard to believe it’s actually a hostel, offering private doubles as well as modular shared dorms. But don’t worry, the party-going crowd is notably absent at this tranquil on-trend oasis.
Enter through the towering wooden door of this former 17th-century palace to arrive at Downtown Beds – a hostel-style, wallet-friendly alternative to sister stay, Downtown Hotel. Located inside this luxury-for-less stay in the Centro Histórico, you’ll find a rooftop pool and bar, a courtyard and games room, plus bikes to borrow, Mexican street food to try and tours to take you around Zócalo and beyond.
A cold welcome drink on arrival welcomes guests to Isaaya Hotel Boutique. Perfect for tech-savvy travelers, the hotel has a business center and meeting rooms if you’re in the city for work, plus Netflix, Apple TV, smart lights and coffee makers in the rooms, plus a concierge for the time-poor in need of inspiration. Downstairs, Anyuna restaurant serves some of the city’s best Mediterranean fare.
Participate in an artisan tequila tasting, plant your own vegetable garden or attend an ancestral medicine workshop with Casa Pepe – a hostel that places experiences at heart. Adventures extend well beyond the hotel walls, with hot air balloon rides over the nearby Teotihuacan ruins and hipster food tours that take in tacos and tamales. Rooms range from dorms to studios and a stylish loft-style suite.
Contemporary and cool, Hotel MX Roma’s industrial feel is a far cry from many of Mexico City’s boutique hotels. Though the rooms are compact – with bare walls and beds crafted from simple medium-density fiberboard – there are plenty of common spaces to spread out including a cafe-cum-bar, compact gym, computer hub, squash court and large outdoor terrace.
For more options, discover our guide on the best hotels in Mexico and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.