When thinking of Playa, all-inclusive resorts spring to mind. But you don’t need to fork out a shed-load of pesos to enjoy a stay in this vibey Mexican beach town. Instead, check out these top cheap hotels in Playa del Carmen – all bookable with Culture Trip.
If you’re coming to Playa del Carmen, in the state of Quintana Roo on the Yucatán Peninsula, it’s likely for the sand and the sea. The shopping isn’t bad either, with a great range of stores lining La Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue), the main pedestrianized thoroughfare, along with countless bars and restaurants. Save some pesos on accommodation to spend elsewhere by checking into one of these top budget hotels in Playa del Carmen, which have a wealth of charm and traditional character.
Hotel Plaza Playa, situated a few blocks from the beach, is a simple yet stylishly decorated budget accommodation. There are 34 smartly appointed standard rooms and junior suites, and breakfast is included in the rate. The morning meal is served in the creatively decorated café, which is a nice spot to hang out during the day, too. The mood throughout the property is bright and breezy with shades of white and blue.
Holidaymakers looking for a tranquil abode in Playa del Carmen won’t be disappointed by Hotel Club Yebo. The hotel offers modern and fresh studios and apartments, decked out with kitchenettes. The “treetop” studio even comes with a secluded balcony. Other perks include a small pool and a thatch-roofed patio area, complete with hammocks.
This 25-room spot near 5th Avenue is all about no-frills comfort. For example, you’ll find no bar or food services on the premises. The rooms, with tiled floors, are clean and spacious, and the posh master suite is housed in a separate building, complete with its own rooftop plunge pool. If you don’t snag this suite, there’s a communal courtyard swimming pool fringed by palm trees.
The Gallery is a contemporary art-inspired hotel with 160 spacious rooms and studios that have an apartment feel. Some include living rooms, kitchens and multiple bathrooms. The large rooftop and courtyard pools are a highlight, and there’s also a separate children’s pool. Common spaces and play areas have a Pop-Art vibe with a mix of funky decor.
La Pasion offers guests a spot of serenity amid the buzz of Playa del Carmen. There are 34 rooms decked out with dark wood furniture, but for some real relaxation, head to the on-site spa. A tranquil garden and swimming pool are other perks of this place, along with a delectable breakfast buffet.
Fiesta Inn Playa del Carmen is a great option for people who want to mix business with pleasure. The hotel features desk spaces in all of the 129 rooms, plus there is free Wi-Fi and a business center. When you’ve clocked off for the day, there are two fabulous rooftop pools to dip into and an outdoor bar for a well-earned sunset cocktail.
Grab your sunglasses for a stay at this brightly hued property. A rainbow of colors bounces around this place, in true Mexican style. There are rooms of varying sizes, and the master suite includes a jacuzzi. After a day of sightseeing, the small pool here is a real treat.
Looking for a calm retreat in the city? This hotel, on 5th Avenue, exudes an authentic hacienda vibe, with friendly service and colonial-style interiors. The magic number here is 10, as that’s how many rooms are on offer — and that’s also the minimum age for children accompanying parents. Rooms come with terraces overlooking a lush garden, which is also where breakfast is served in a traditional open-sided dwelling.
Casa Ticul is a stylish boutique hotel with well-appointed rooms, right on 5th Avenue. Splurge a little by opting for a higher-tier suite – these rooms come with exterior bathtubs for an open-air soak. Elsewhere on the property, there’s a pair of small courtyard pools and a tanning deck on the roof. This lofty spot is also where breakfast is served, with a fine spread of Mexican treats to kick-start your day.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Mónica Ramírez López.
Looking for more budget-friendly stays in Playa del Carmen? Check out our pick of the best hotels to book in Playa del Carmen for every traveler, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.