We’ve all had those moments – you’re getting to the end of your trip, you’re running out of money, and you’re wondering how you are going to be able to enjoy the city with just the tiny bit of cash left in your pocket. Have no fear, Mexico City has a bevy of free activities for the public (that’s you!) to enjoy everyday. Here are just a few of the thing you can do in CDMX without spending a dime.
On most Sundays, the city shuts down the Paseo de Reforma, the main urban thoroughfare that splits the city, and transforms it into a biking, skating and running paradise. If you are wondering how you can bike Reforma without a bike of your own, just bring your passport to one of the Bicigratis stands along Reforma, and they will loan you a bike for a three-hour stint, no strings attached (you just have to bring back your bike to get your ID back!).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mexico’s reputation as a megalopolis causes some to think that it’s all cement and smog. The truth is the city is extremely green, and its main park, the Bosque de Chapultepec, is double the size of New York’s Central Park. Plus, there are a million smaller parks spread throughout the city with walking and running paths, basketball and soccer courts, and even exercise machines! How about that, a workout that doesn’t require a gym membership?
Sundays are great day to visit museums in the city, as many are free of charge. The Tamayo Art Museum, the National Art Museum, the National History Museum and the Museum of Modern Art, along with dozens more, are all free on Sundays. Here is a complete list of all the wonderful places you can see absolutely free.
From the photography exhibits that line the Reforma Avenue gates of Chapultepec Park, to the park’s statues and monuments, to the obligatory stop at the Jorge Marin’s golden angel wings outside of the Museum of Anthropology, this is an amazing city for public art. Street muralists are at the height of their fervor in Colonia Roma, Condesa and Juarez. Even the beautifully colored colonial houses can be a source of eye candy if you are paying attention.
While visiting the market might have you aching to buy stuff, if you can control the urge, markets are an amazing place for people-watching, learning about local products, and getting a sense of life in the city. The bonus is that many market vendors also pass out samples of fruits, jams or cheese, especially more tourist-friendly destinations like the San Juan Market Gourmet Market in the Centro Historico.
While you have hundreds of options for spending your coins on a tour in Mexico City, there are also plenty of free options. A good advance purchase is the Opinionated Guide for the Curious Traveler, which lays out dozens of self-guided tours designed with the perspective of a local by Jim Johnson. There are also the Free Tour Mexico folks that offer free group walking tours everyday in Mexico City (it’s a good idea to plan to tip) and the GPS My City site,where you download self-led walking tours onto your device and go it alone.
There are endless opportunities to listen to free music in Mexico City. The Bellas Artes often broadcasts weekend performances on a massive movie screen outside of the museum. In the Bosque de Chapultepec, the Audiorama offers you an opportunity to sit for a spell, relax, and listen to some beautiful classical music. Whether you love them or hate them, the organ grinders are a part of the city’s musical landscape, but if you wander among the streets of the Centro Historico, you will not only see them but also groups of jazz, rock, and blues musicians playing their hearts out for tips. The Plaza de Santo Domingo is often host to singers and players, and the park outside of Ciudadela Park has a danzón on the weekends.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.