On the southern tip of Baja California, in Mexico, the town of San José del Cabo is the more low-key sibling of nearby Cabo San Lucas, with many resorts between the two. The beaches here are sandy sensations, but currents rule out swimming, so a stay in a sea-view resort, with heavenly pools for safe and serene dips, is ideal. Your vacay starts today.
Cabo San Lucas, along the coast, may be famous for its buzzing nightlife, but here you can enjoy a spa for total relaxation as well as a selection of world-class, globally inspired restaurants. We know the best resorts in and around San José del Cabo, so check in and switch off.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
On a long stretch of beach, halfway between San José and Cabo San Lucas, the Solaz has the design wow factor and then some. Part hotel, part luxury timeshare residences, it basks in landscaped gardens dotted with indigenous plants. The spacious lobby is more like an art gallery with its succulents and sculptures. You can watch the waves rolling in from each of the 128 ocean-facing rooms; some come with a hot tub or hammock, all have a balcony or terrace. Once you’ve seen the chic rooftop bar, the three swish restaurants (Baja, international, seafood) and the terraces for stylish lounging, you‘ll be glad you upped your wardrobe game.
Now this is what you call an entrance: a huge domed lobby, open at each end, showcases the beach, ocean and three pools; two snake almost the length of the resort, one with a 40ft (12m) waterfall cascading down. All-inclusive it may be, but this is an upscale, designer, adults-only version. There are 235 rooms – choose ocean-facing suites or whitewashed casitas – and a 13,000sqft (1,200sqm) spa peddling treatments that incorporate homegrown products such as cactus oils and agave, as well as flashier diamonds and caviar. Dine at Sakke for pan-Asian, Canto del Mar for fancy French, or get the waiters to set up a table for two on the moonlit beach.
Le Blanc takes all-inclusive to another level with premium drinks, seven restaurants – including Lebanese, Asian, Mexican and French – and no queueing. Airy rooms in soothing whites and neutrals have aromatic Bulgari potions in bathrooms and 400-thread-count linens. Large pools fan out along the beach (the sea is too rough for swimming), and a gym has trainers on hand. Try aqua-spinning classes, pilates, pool volleyball and the free hydrotherapy circuit in the spa. Final proof that this resort is a cut above the rest is your personal butler, ready to fulfill any whim.
Set like a white village around a massive three-tiered pool, this is a stylish, family-friendly beachfront beauty. And it’s big, with a 16-seater cinema, farm-to-table Mexican restaurant, fitness center and spa There are 326 rooms (white walls, carved dark-wood headboards) – even entry-level suites, with living area and kitchenette, are the size of a small city flat. The multi-roomed villas are the ones to book for family gatherings – offspring can be whisked off to the kids’ club or pool (with slide) to spare the honeymooners. If here between January and April, whale-watching is a must, but don’t miss aerobics, cooking classes – or the tequila tastings.
With a kids’ and a teens’ club, as well as a dedicated children’s pool, this place is seriously family-friendly, so if you’re not, you might want to avoid school holidays. But it’s a stunner – there are all-inclusives, and then there are ultra-all-inclusives. The giant Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos (591 rooms), just outside San José del Cabo, is the king of the latter. Meals range from Japanese and French to fast food, and free-flow alcohol is included in the room rate, as are activities and even tips. Be ready for some belt-loosening when you get home.
Arrive at sunset and discover an extraordinary spectacle: a giant inverted nest, illuminated and surrounded by reflective pools. The “nest” is the signature restaurant, Nido, a chic cevicheria that draws a fashionable crowd. They love the Mexican modernist design, big-name DJs in the rooftop nightclub and the palatial spa. The 198 rooms mix mid-century modern and Scandi-futuristic, with floor-to-ceiling windows and outdoor space. Every time you book one, another gets released with 50% off for a local healthcare professional. That’s karma.
The curved, terracotta-hued Westin was built to blend in with the Cabo desert, an architectural homage to Cabo’s famous natural stone arch – some of the 223 suites and villas are in the central bridge. Me-time seekers have the 10,000sqft (930sqm) spa and fitness facilities, and if a 24/7 gym isn’t enough, tennis is among the sports available. When ready to eat, go low-key in Cocina Casera or high-end at El Ciruelo, then hit the Cantina sports bar for one of the two pool tables. There’s always a queue for them, but upgrade to the presidential suite and you’ll get your own.
It’s a 15-minute walk to the ocean, yes, but then again, it has three saltwater pools – and the nearest beach is more for surfers than for swimmers, as is often the case in this region. Alegranza’s loyal clientele are here for the spacious two- to four-bedroom residences, each with a kitchen and a concierge who will stock it for you. There are awesome (distant) ocean views, and three restaurants (Japanese, Mexican and the grill). Stepping out, you’ve got a golf course 2mi (3km) away, downtown San José a 10-minute walk, and you can bring your pets: Fido is welcome, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.