Visiting Cancún? Want to do more than sunbathe? Get outdoors and explore the Mexican paradise with eco activities around Cancún, natural aquariums in the Caribbean Sea and more.
Zip-lining though the Mexican jungle, diving in cenotes and snorkeling the Caribbean Sea is tiring work – you’ll need somewhere to rest after all that outdoor adventuring. So to help you out, we’ve hand-picked a selection of the best hotels and resorts near the destinations. Book on our website now and make the most of the Culture Trip Feel Good Booking Guarantee.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Xplor, Playa del Carmen
You won’t have more fun anywhere else near Cancún than Xplor eco adventure park. Zip-line through the trees across 14 routes with the Caribbean Sea glimmering in the background. Grab the wheel and drive through the jungle on amphibious vehicles, with caverns, narrow roads and hanging bridges along the way. Raft or swim through prehistoric rivers in the underground caverns. And look out for the only five-in-one waterslide in the world.
The mother of all resorts, Hotel Xcaret is part of the most well-known theme/water park in Mexico, Xcaret, of which Xplor is a part. The only resort that offers access to all the parks and tours by Xcaret, it’s perfect for a jam-packed holiday of family fun, and the flamboyant architecture pays tribute to the traditions of Mexico.
Mayan Ruins, Tulum
There are a handful of must-visit Mayan ruins near Cancún, but none are quite as naturally spectacular as the Tulum ruins, which sit on a cliff above a picture-perfect white sandy beach. The archaeological site was once an ancient city that was a seaport for trading jade and turquoise. Inquisitive travelers will love the theories and myths that surround the structures.
After a day exploring the ruins and the natural beauty surrounding it, treat yourself with a luxurious place to stay afterward. There are lots to choose from in Tulum, but TAGO is one of our favorites. A day here begins with sliding open your floor-to-ceiling wooden doors and taking a dip in your private balcony pool. For the rest of the day, drift dreamily on the beach club swings, then head over to the Mexican-inspired TAGO Restaurant with a final stop via the shaman-led wellness center.
Xcaret, Playa del Carmen
The whole family will love a day at the nature theme park Xcaret. Swim in underground rivers and get up close to the creatures of the Aviary, the Coral Reef Aquarium and the Butterfly Pavilion. From swimming with dolphins to floating down a lazy river, visiting a traditional cemetery to snorkeling the inlet, Xcaret will entertain you for days. There’s also a section for younger ones called Mundo de los Niños, and you won’t want to miss the live performances – the night show, a celebration of Mexican and Mayan history, is our favorite.
You get the best of both worlds at Occidental at Xcaret Destination: all the fun activities for kids, being connected to the nature park by a gondola, but also respite from the action amid tranquil open spaces. Look out for the wildlife, too, including monkeys, iguanas and the raccoon-like coati.
Ready to see the largest natural aquarium in the world? That’s what you’re in for at Xel-ha near Tulum, an eco-park where you can swim in grottos and cenotes (natural sinkholes), explore Mayan ruins, jump off the Cliff of Courage, cross the floating bridge, ride bikes or fly kites. There are plenty of other activities and exhibits to keep you occupied, or you could spend your time relaxing in the sun or napping in a seaside hammock. Xel-Ha also features a delicious buffet restaurant and a children’s area.
After an adventure-packed day at Xel-ha, a private villa is the perfect place to retreat, and Villa Pescadores is one of our favorites. You’ll find it on the white sands of Tulum National Park. More beachside cabana than traditional villa, these rustic retreats feature handmade furniture, canopy beds and private balconies. In the bathroom, you will find locally sourced toiletries. But the real win? The spot on Playa Pescadores. A stay comes with access to the beach club where daybeds and hammocks make for lazy afternoons. The dining experience is typical Tulum – relaxed and forward-thinking. Head to the beach grill for mezcal-infused fish and the catch of the day.
See the Yucatán Peninsula with a sustainable tour from Aventuras Mayas. Explore ancient Mayan archaeological sites and enjoy zip-lining excursions, cenote rappelling, and snorkeling along the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the largest reef in the Western Hemisphere. Make the most of the Cenote Chukum tour, which explores a 130ft (40m) cenote named Chukum-Ha after the surrounding chukum trees indigenous to the area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.