Months after the shocking US election win of former TV show host and six-time bankrupt ‘businessman’ Donald Trump, piñata stores across the country are still stocking papier mâché effigies of the man who’s arguably managed to anger more people in Mexico than the Mexican president himself. And that’s saying something.
However, that anger against Trump seems anything but counterproductive where the Mexican capital’s foodie scene is concerned. It’s long been known that Mexico City is one of the world’s greatest foodie destinations, but recent months have seen an upswell in locales focusing on Mexican cuisine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take the recently opened Mercado Roma restaurant Seneri, a new project dedicated to the often-overlooked Michoacán culinary scene, or the continued success of Enrique Olvera’s newly renovated Pujol, a world-class restaurant known for its celebration of traditional Mexican cuisine.
Is it mere coincidence that these restaurants have opened or thrived in the months following Trump’s win, hot on the heels of his comments that Mexicans are ‘bad hombres’, murderers and rapists? Possibly. However, the fact remains that they’re flourishing rather than failing, even in this newly hostile political environment.
This trend can even be seen in the US too, where Mexican favourites are overtaking classic north of the border cuisine. El País reports that spicy salsa has surpassed ketchup as the most purchased condiment and that tortillas are the best thing since sliced bread.
This attitude goes beyond top quality dining establishments though, penetrating right to the core of food buying habits in Mexico. Locals are trading huge US corporations and products for homegrown brands and companies, eschewing Walmart for street side tianguis and taking far more care over the products they consume. The authorities have even tapped into this sentiment and desire to support Mexican industry, launching the first ever Feria Consume Local in Mexico City this past March.
Add to this the mezcal renaissance taking place in Mexico that just shows no sign of slowing, and you’ve got yourself a veritable ‘drink local’ revolution on your hands too. In fact, Mexico City cocktail bar favourites such as Licorería Limantour are beginning to introduce even more obscure Mexican spirits to their menus, such as sotol, bacanora, pox and pulque.
Mexico is the Shit
This new wave of national pride hasn’t just been seen in and amongst foodie circles either, as fashion designers are also doubling down on this reignited love for Mexico and all things Mexican. Take, for example, the Anuar Layón-designed black jackets emblazoned across the back with one simple phrase – Mexico is the Shit. According to the designer himself, the exaltation for Mexico was written in English so as to gain maximum international impact, even if some non-English speaking Mexicans entirely misunderstood the situation. Even so, the very fact that this jacket exists is clear proof of how Trump’s vitriol has actually benefitted Mexican industry across all sectors, reaffirming national pride rather than destroying it.
What’s more, while Mexican visits to the US have dropped significantly in recent months, a move attributed to anti-Mexican sentiments across the US (attitudes legitimised by Trump himself), the number of visitors travelling to Mexico has actually risen. This fact is in no small part due to the number of Mexicans deterred from visiting the US, instead ‘exploring their own backyard’ and boosting national tourism in places such as Puerto Vallarta and Baja California, reports the LA Times – this will directly cost the US economy $1.1 billion, according to predictions from Tourism Economics.
So, whose economy is the Trump administration really hurting? It doesn’t seem to be Mexico’s.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.