The city of Tequila, an hour from Guadalajara, is best known as the birthplace of Mexico’s national drink, and the surrounding hills are lined with countless rows of spiky blue agave plants. The town has a rustic, picturesque charm and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006. Tequila also boasts several historic distilleries and some beautiful cantinas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are numerous train trips that take tourists to the iconic town from Guadalajara, but a bus is a cheaper option and will mean you can stay the night. For accommodation, the Hotel Solar de las Animas is an elegant boutique hotel just a block from the town plaza. The stylish yet rustic location is a great destination for couples and also boasts an outdoor swimming pool. Once you’ve dropped off your bags, head out to explore the central plaza, the beating heart of the town.
Hotel Solar de las Ánimas, Ramon Corona S/N, 46400 Tequila, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 6700
The handsome baroque church, La Parroquia Santiago Apóstol, dominates the center of town. Built in the 17th century, the single nave interior boasts numerous elegant stained-glass windows. Outside, the plaza is usually a hub of activity. Voladores, or “flying” dancers, often perform just off the main square. These performers spin around a tall pole while attached by their ankles, in a ritual ceremony that has been recognized as an Intangible Cultural Heritage by UNESCO.
The plaza is also a great place to enjoy your first tequila. Cantaritos, or clay pots, are sold in stalls surrounding the plaza. These are filled with a potent cocktail made of tequila, lime, salt, and fruit juices.
Parroquia Santiago Apóstol, Sixto Gorjón, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 1819
Enjoy a late lunch at Amor de Mis Amores, a casual family restaurant in the heart of the town. Traditional Mexican cuisine is the name of the game at this eatery, offering tacos, enchiladas, carne en su jugo, and birria.
The Museo Nacional del Tequila (the National Museum of Tequila) offers fascinating insights into the town’s history and culture. Opened in 2000, the museum offers five beautifully arranged rooms with themed exhibits and artwork relating to the iconic spirit and its production.
Amor de Mis Amores, José Cuervo 26, El Rastro, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 3085
Museo Nacional del Tequila, Ramón Corona 34, Centro, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 00 12 ext. 105
The next stop on your trip should be Jose Cuervo’s La Rojeña Distillery, the oldest distillery in Latin America. Tours depart from the distillery’s reception and take visitors through the entire production process, from the brick ovens where the agave is cooked to the oak barrels that are stacked in the aging halls. The tour takes 90 minutes and includes a tasting of Jose Cuervo’s premium tequila, Reserva de la Familia.
La Rojeña, José Cuervo 33, Centro, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 6717
If sobering up is not on your agenda, head over to La Cata, a superb tequila-tasting room a short walk from Cuervo’s distillery. La Cata boasts a vast selection of Mexican spirits and is run by a very friendly team of tequila-savvy staff.
La Cata, Ramón Corona 109, El Rastro, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 0058
Head back to the hotel for dinner. Solar de las Animas boasts one of the best eateries in town. La Antigua Casona is a welcoming, laid-back restaurant in a pleasant courtyard setting. The menu boasts excellent regional dishes made from quality local ingredients.
If you still have the energy, head over to La Capilla, “the Chapel,” for a nightcap. The oldest cantina in Tequila, La Capilla was given that name because patrons walk in on their feet but crawl out on their knees. Inside, the bar has rough tiled floors, spindly stools and a lively, friendly atmosphere.
La Capilla, Avenida México, Centro, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 103 9204
Restaurante Bar La Jima is a great spot for breakfast. The charming eatery offers excellent food, as well as efficient and friendly service. We highly recommend the huevos rancheros or chilaquiles, which are both first rate.
Restaurante Bar La Jima, Avenida México 138, Mayahuel, Tequila, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 742 4020
After breakfast, head over to the nearby village of Amatitán, 15 minutes’ drive from Tequila. El Guero bar is a legendary institution in Tequila country. The open-air bar offers cheerful cantaritos to its very contented clientele.
Cantaritos El Güero, Carretera Libre a Tequila km 49, Amatitán, Jalisco, Mexico, +52 01 374 100 4569
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.