Less than two hours from southern Mexico City, the mysterious town of Malinalco is a great destination for tourists looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the heaving capital. The perfect place for a short getaway, Malinalco is still a relatively low-profile spot, offering a much-needed respite from crowds and traffic. With its reputation as a center for mysticism and spirituality, the town is also great for travelers searching for an “authentic” Mexican experience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Casa Limón is an elegant boutique hotel hidden a few blocks from the town plaza. The stylish yet rustic location is a perfect destination for honeymooning couples.
Casa Limón, Río Lerma, San Pedro, Malinalco, Mexico State, Mexico, +52 01 714 147 0256
Once you’ve dropped off your bags, head out in the direction of Malinalco’s two central plazas, which are the beating heart of the town. The handsome parish church, La Parroquia del Divino Salvador, dominates proceedings. Behind the church is the impressive Ex Convento Divino Salvador, built by Augustinian friars in the 16th century. Spiraling out from Malinalco’s core are numerous cobbled streets lined with bright yellow houses and red-tile roofs. The picturesque town is surrounded by splendid mountains and forests, which make a perfect backdrop for a leisurely afternoon stroll.
La Parroquia del Divino Salvador, Centro, Malinalco, Mexico State, Mexico, +52 01 714 147 0115
Undoubtedly the main attraction in town is the Cuauhtinchan Archeological Ruins, which is very well preserved and offers excellent views of the valley. The site and the surrounding area is believed to have been a center for training Aztec imperial recruits, and bloody rituals would have taken place here. Some locals now attribute a healing energy to the ruins, and it is not uncommon to see people meditating or doing yoga in the area.
The Museo de Malinalco offers fascinating insights into the town’s history and culture. The museum, which opened in 2001, has seven beautifully arranged rooms with themed exhibits related to fiesta culture, geology, the dry and rainy seasons, the underworld, and the archaeological ruins.
Museo de Malinalco, Amajac, Santa Monica, Malinalco, Mexico State, Mexico, +52 01 714 147 1288
If you’re visiting on the weekend, make sure to stop by Zorros Galería, an elegant showroom of paintings and sculptures produced by local artists. Souvenir hunters may also find works that take their interest because much of the innovative artwork is available for sale.
Zorros Galería, Emilio Carranza 100, Santa Monica, Malinalco, Mexico State, Mexico, +52 01 714 147 0917
After taking a short rest back at the hotel, it’s time to head out for food. The good news is that you won’t have far to go because Casa Limón offers one of the best restaurants in Malinalco. Supervised by expert chef Leonel García, the menu offers an enticing blend of French and Mexican ingredients.
If you’re keen on something more low-key, there are plenty of pleasant eateries closer to the central plaza. The town’s traditional specialty is trout. The fish is served in a great variety of ways, whether fried, steamed, flavored with garlic or spiced.
In recent years, mezcal has been grabbing the international spotlight, and if you’re looking to sample the locally made spirit, you should head to La Talacha Bar. This vibrant venue offers an extensive range of mezcal shots and cocktails. Inside, you’ll find fun décor and a loyal base of regulars.
Restaurant Mari Mali, just off the central plaza, is a great spot for breakfast. The charming little eatery offers efficient and friendly service. We recommend the huevos rancheros or chilaquiles, which are both first-rate.
Restaurant Mari Mali, Benito Juárez 3, Santa Monica, Malinalco, Mexico State, Mexico, +52 01 714 147 1486
After breakfast, head over to the Casa de Cultura Malinalxochitl. The center is named after Malinalxochitl, a sorceress and the goddess of snakes and scorpions. According to legend, the town is the birthplace of the sinister goddess, and it is because of her that Malinalco has acquired its reputation for magic.
You’re unlikely to encounter any snakes or scorpions in the cultural center itself. Instead, you’ll find an elegant courtyard with exhibitions of wooden carvings, watercolor paintings, and photography,
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.