The American novelist Don Winslow has produced two sprawling novels on Mexico’s war on drugs. The Power of the Dog was published in 2006 and The Cartel in 2015. A film adaptation is in the works for both of these, with Ridley Scott directing. It won’t be the first time a Winslow story has been brought to the big screen. In 2012, Oliver Stone directed a film version of Winslow’s novel Savages.
The Power of the Dog
The novels are the result of two decades of exhaustive research, during which Winslow studied all of the key characters in the drug war, from the top kingpins to the victims of their violence.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Winslow’s obsession with the topic began in 1998, when he read about the massacre of 19 people in Baja California, a part of Mexico he was familiar with. The research led to his 2005 novel, The Power of the Dog, which tracks the rise of the Mexican drug cartels from 1975 until the mid-1990s. The central protagonist is the DEA agent Art Keller, who becomes obsessed with the Mexican drug trafficker Adán Barrera after he brutally murders his partner. The circumstances of the novel are closely based on a horrific real-life event: in 1985 drug bosses kidnapped and tortured the DEA agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena while he was working undercover in the western city of Guadalajara.
The Power of the Dog also includes the Mexico City earthquake of 1985 and depicts the murder of the presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio in Tijuana.
Winslow returned to the theme of Mexican drug cartels with the pacey 2010 thriller Savages. The best-selling novel tells the story of Ben and Chon, two California beach bums who grow high-grade marijuana and live with a shared girlfriend. Business is booming and life is great – until the Mexican Baja Cartel decide they deserve a chunk of the change. When the pair refuse to cooperate, the cartel kidnaps their girlfriend and they are forced into a course of action neither had anticipated.
The 2012 film Savages cemented Don Winslow’s position as a superstar novelist. The film boasted a star-studded cast with big names such as John Travolta, Blake Lively, Benicio Del Toro, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.
A sequel to The Power of the Dog, entitled The Cartel, was published in 2015. The book follows Keller, the DEA agent, from 2004 to 2014 as he continues his pursuit of the Mexican drug kingpin Barrera.
The book, which will eventually form part of a trilogy, features disturbing real-life incidents from the current phase of the drug war. In one scene, a cartel storms a night club and throws five human heads on the dance floor – a detail drawn from an incident that took place in Uruapan, Michoacán, in 2006.
The cartels in the novel, as in real life, have become ever-more ruthless, with a new generation of leaders that employ increasingly sadistic methods.
“Whereas back in the day, the cartels used to try to hide their crimes, now they announce them on social media,” Winslow told NPR in 2015.
The novel also adopts a firm political stance with regards to the ongoing US-backed war on drugs.
“Someone’s always going to be selling this shit,” one character says. “It might as well be someone who doesn’t kill women and kids. If someone’s going to do it, you guys might as well let someone like me do it.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.