Mexico is the birthplace of chocolate and, as one of the country’s culinary gifts to the world, you can bet there are some excellent, hand-crafted examples out there of what real chocolate should be like. We stopped into Mexico City’s Central Cacao, a delightful shop with delicious chocolate, and checked out some names in the chocolate trade you should have on your radar.
Kakaw’s factory is in the cool, dry climate of San Cristóbal de las Casas in Chiapas, but they source their beans directly from producers in the warmer, more humid regions of Tabasco and Guatemala. They use artisan methods to ferment, dry and toast their cacao, and pay their producers a higher price through direct purchase, instead of using a distributor. They sell chocolate bars with various additions, like amaranth or peanuts, as well as the traditional chocolate tab used to make Mexican hot chocolate with water.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Beautiful, small, lipstick-shaped bonbons and colorful chocolate in many shapes and sizes might give the impression that Que Bo! is whimsical about its chocolate, but this is one serious Mexican chocolate brand. They have been named one of the best chocolate brands in the world several years running by the French chocolate guide Le Guide de Croqueurs de Chocolat, and have some of the most classically Mexican flavors, like pan de muerto, café de olla, mole sauce, and more.
Que Bo!, Isabel la Catolica 30 local 15-16, Centro Histórico, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 01 55 5518 7672
La Broma de Teo
La Broma de Teo (Teo’s Joke) started as a small project among friends making artisanal chocolate from their kitchens. They work with organic beans and use artisan processes to make all types of chocolate, with combinations including almonds, amarenth, macademia nuts, mandarin, agave honey, mezcal and more. They sell their products in various parts of the republic, and have a chocolate-tasting bar in Guadalajara, Jalisco.
An association of agricultural producers, the Yé-la project started with communal lands in the region of Chinantla, Oaxaca that were designated a conservation area. Chocolate growers and producers joined together to protect this important jungle product. They produce chocolate using a white cocoa bean called pataxtle, and produce bars and other chocolate products with a distinctly cream-colored shine.
A do-everything operation based out of Chiapas, Frucao cares for every detail of its chocolate-making process, from planting the seeds to end-processing the chocolate bars, often mixed with dried fruits like oranges and cranberries. They also grow vanilla and cinnamon on their land in Southern Mexico.
You will find Ki’ Xocolatl products at high-end shops throughout the country. They grow their own beans on the Yucatán Peninsula and their products are 100% Criollo cacao, 100% organic and combine traditional, indigenous techniques with Belgian ones. Under the direction of chocolatier Mathieu Brees, they are an award-winning Mexican chocolate brand you need to try.
A chocolate bar and restaurant, La Rifa is famous for the quality of its chocolate drinks. You can find them at their main location in Coyoacán and also at Central Cacao in Colonia Roma. Run by young cook Daniel Reza Barrientos, La Rifa sources its beans from Cumuapa, Cunduacán in Tabasco, and works closely with the family that produces them. Try their chocolate, hot or cold, and you’ll see what Mexican chocolate is all about.
La Rifa, Calle Ignacio Allende 45, Del Carmen, Coyoacan, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 01 55 9155 7684
La Leyenda is a support network for producers of small-batch coffee, cacao, and amaranth, based in Mexico City. They focus their promotion on the specific origin of each product and what environmental factors make it unique. They offer tastings and workshops throughout the city, and you can buy their products online through their Facebook page.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.