If you are a tequila fan and want to discover the true taste, meaning, and history behind those margaritas, it’s time to visit the Tequila Trail. It encompasses the towns of Tequila, El Arenal, Amatitán, Magdalena, and Teuchitlán; places that are like a time machine, ready to take you back to the times when tequila was made using very basic techniques for just a few lucky people. Take a trip to the bluish-green landscape of the agave fields in Mexico, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2006.
This area, just an hour away from Guadalajara, is characterized by a beautiful landscape of blue agave fields and the urban settlements of Tequila, Arenal, and Amatitán. The area features old distilleries where the agave is fermented and distilled. Each agave plant has to grow for five to seven years before it is cut; this is why you can usually observe the fields full of plants at any time of year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The area has been inhabited for around 2,000 years, and nowadays it’s famous all around the world for the drink that is distilled from the blue agave plant. Tequila has a protected designation of origin, meaning that this is the only place in the world where it can be produced. You can learn all about this, and other stories about tequila, by visiting the Museo Nacional del Tequila (National Tequila Museum).
According to UNESCO, the cultivation and distillation of agave have produced a distinctive landscape, within which you will also find a collection of fine haciendas and distilleries, reflecting the fusion of pre-Hispanic traditions of fermenting mescal juice with the European distillation processes of the past 250 years.
The Tequila Express is a very original and pleasant way to discover the agave landscape. It departs from Guadalajara, and the tour includes a stop at the Hacienda San Jose del Refugio, home of Tequila Herradura in Amatitán, where you can learn all about the process of tequila brewing. The train includes beer and tequila tasting from the start of the journey and a taste of typical Jalisco cuisine. The Tequila Express leaves from Guadalajara’s train station every weekend day at 10:15; reservations are essential.
The Tequila Trail also includes Teuchitán, a unique archaeological site featuring circular pyramids, where you can enjoy great view of the landscape, taking in the town of Teuchitán and the agave fields.
The real beauty of this place lies in the perfect mix of all the elements of the landscape: the soil, the agave plants, the horses, the small houses with tiled roofs, the mountains, the fresh air. This is an experience you have to have if you are visiting Jalisco, Mexico.
There are plenty companies offering guided tours. Here are some options:
Tequila Adventure, +52 374 7424015
Mexico Tequila Tours, +52 374 7421819
Andares de Mexico, +52 33 36470202
Servi Tour Agave Azul, +52 374 7420851
Mundo Cuervo, +52 33 31343379
Tequila & Arte Tours, +52 374 7423644
Destiladora Rubio, +52 374 7422830
La Cofradía, +52 374 7423677
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.