Montreal’s Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) sits around 20 kilometers (12 miles) from the downtown area, so if you find yourself there for a layover, the city is close enough to get in some exploring. Here’s our guide to how you can get the most out of your stopover in Montreal.
There are a few transport options to consider when you’re heading into the city from the airport. The most cost-effective way is via the city’s public transit system (the STM), which offers a 24/7 shuttle service with two route options. The Destination Terminus Lionel-Groulx is a single-stop shuttle that takes between 25 and 35 minutes, depending on traffic, and will drop you off at the Lionel-Groulx métro station, and the Destination Centre-ville makes 11 stops through downtown with an estimated travel time of 45 to 70 minutes. The cost is $10, which also includes unlimited transit use on the STM’s bus and métro networks for 24 consecutive hours.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Taxis can take you to downtown Montreal for a fixed fare of $38.00, as well as the more controversial option of Uber. Via Rail offers an airport shuttle when you need to travel from the Dorval rail station and YUL.
If you’ve just got a few hours but you’re hankering to get a glimpse of Montreal, make your way to the city’s most popular neighborhood for visitors: the Old Port. This area is the most historic district of Montreal, with cobblestoned streets lined with buildings that date back into the 1700s. Even with a brief layover, a quick excursion to the Old Port is a great way to get a glimpse into Montreal’s long history and French colonial roots, unusual for North American cities.
With a taxi, the Old Port is about 20 minutes from the airport.
With a little more time, you could opt to head to the city center and then make your way to Mont-Royal, the big scenic park that rises above the city and offers great panoramic views. Culture Trip recommends taking the meandering walk up the mountain during the warmer months (from June to October) to get a sense of the local terrain and to mingle with locals as they jog, hike, or bike up the “mountain” that comprises Montreal’s most popular park.
Once you reach the main belvedere at the top, you can take in the lovely view of the city’s downtown area, reaching out toward the St. Lawrence River and beyond. To expedite the trip to the top, which could take about 45 minutes on foot, you could hop onto a BIXI from the city’s bike rental system instead. The park is around 35 minutes by car from YUL.
Heading to the top of Mont-Royal is an excellent option if you want to get a bit of a workout after your long flight. If you’re there on a Sunday, you might also be able to watch the Tam-Tams, an informal, free weekly festival that gathers around the park’s George-Étienne Cartier Monument during the summer. Grab a snack from one of the wandering vendors and join drum players, vendors, dancers, and visitors as they lounge around in the grass, picnicking and relaxing.
With a longer layover, you can combine an exploration of the Old Port with the Mont-Royal nature walk. If possible, take a BIXI to shorten the travel time between the two areas—or a taxi. With an extra couple of hours, you can also get a better sense of the city’s best eats afterward. From Mont-Royal, you could take the half-hour walk over to Boulevard Saint-Laurent, one of Montreal’s well-known arteries for restaurants, bars, cafés, and boutiques. Culture Trip’s top recommendation is Schwartz’s Deli, where you might have to wait in line to try one of their famed smoked-meat sandwiches. Schwartz’s has been around since 1928, and it remains one of Montreal’s most iconic foodie experiences. From Schwartz’s, take a taxi back to the airport. If the traffic’s in your favor, it should take just under half an hour.
Schwartz’s Deli, 3895 St Laurent Blvd, Montreal, QC, Canada, +1 514 842 4813
If you have 12 hours…
If you’ve got a half day (or more) to spend in the city, you can take your Montreal experience to the next level by visiting a couple of key monuments and one of the city’s world-class museums, in addition to the recommended itinerary above. This time, while you’re in the Old Port, make a stop at the impressive Notre-Dame Basilica, originally built in 1656, which is Montreal’s oldest Catholic church. The Basilica is known for its breathtaking stained glass, intricately gilded design work, and high altar.
After exploring Mont-Royal and having lunch at Schwartz’s, you can make your way via BIXI or on foot (30 minutes) to the Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, which is one of Canada’s most famous museums. There’s also the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, which showcases cutting-edge work by Quebec and international artists. You can access the 747 shuttle bus from either of the museums, which will give you access to the métro system so that you can board the shuttle at Berri-UQAM station.
After a full day of exploring the history, art, architecture, and nature of Montreal, you’ll have made the most out of your layover and experienced some of the best cultural sites that the city has to offer. But even a shorter layover will give you enough insight into the creative pulse of Montreal, which is sure to convince you to return for a longer trip next time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.