Make the most of Canada’s French-speaking center by checking into one of these chic hotels downtown.
Montreal has plenty to entice: a thriving restaurant scene, atmospheric old town and swathes of green space. Whether you decide to spend your days strolling the lanes of the Old Port, relaxing in the sunshine on Mount Royal or dining in the restaurants of Little Burgundy, picking a central stay makes sense – that way, everything will be within easy reach. As for the top place to stay? Take your pick from our round-up of the best hotels in downtown Montreal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It hardly gets more central than this: you’re in the same building as Montreal’s main rail station, connecting the city to the airport, Toronto and further afield. Yet Hotel Bonaventure feels miles away from the commuter rush, with a lobby set off by contemporary loungers and floor-to-ceiling windows that let the sunshine pour in. Guest rooms are smartly dressed in creamy or slate hues, but the highlight? A rooftop pool, where you can swim until late, gazing across to the shimmer of Montreal’s high-rises.
Looking to channel some old-world vibes on your trip? Book into the downtown Hotel Gault, a collection of rooms and apartments set in a cream-fronted building dating to 1871. Inside, original exposed brick walls and steel columns contrast with striking modern stylings: minimalist chairs, sleek kitchen spaces and industrial-chic lighting. Kick off your evening with cocktails in the stylish lobby bar, take dinner in the surrounding Old Port neighborhood, then snuggle up in the library with a book and a nightcap.
Hotel Le Cantlie Suites is perfectly placed for two things: shopping and nightlife. Head out from your crisp-white and polished-wood room to take in the stores lining Sainte-Catherine Street or the buzzy bars of Crescent Street. A rooftop pool, open in warmer months, gives you top-notch views of the Montreal skyline, while a fitness center lets you work off the calories gained from heaps of poutine (cheese curds, fries and gravy).
If what you’re seeking is a Montreal stay with a slick vibe – the kind of place you can party as well as unwind – then the W is a no-brainer. During the day you can work in the Living Room, sipping coffees until cocktail hour comes round. On warm evenings, drain sangrias or mai tais on the terrace, then bed down in rooms dressed in clean whites with pops of flashy gold and black. You’re just a short walk from the central station, so the sights are at your fingertips, too.
Here’s a Montreal pad that has something for everyone. Culture vultures will appreciate the location of Le Nouvel Hôtel and Spa, just a short walk from the city’s must-see Museum of Fine Arts. Fans of a good pampering will love it too, thanks to the on-site spa which offers muscle-melting massages, serene yoga classes and steams in a sauna. In town for work? Make use of the free business center, dedicated meeting spaces and traditional rooms with seating areas and desk space.
It might not be quite as extravagant as the French palace that inspired its name, but Montreal’s Chateau Versailles still has plenty to recommend it. At the base of Mount Royal Park, moments from the Museum of Fine Arts, this historic, stone-fronted building has both presence and intimacy. Enter to a roaring fire, and sink into a comfy armchair; fall asleep under molded ceilings and grand chandeliers. Extra perks include an exercise room, sauna and a traditional afternoon tea.
Le Mount Stephen is set in an opulent 1880 building that was once home to an exclusive members club. These days, it feels just as fancy, with an atmospheric cocktail bar and a spa menu offering anti-aging facials and energizing massages. Rooms are elegant yet classic, with underlit beds and, in suites, double-decker lounge areas. Book in for weekend brunch of pain perdu or caviar-topped crumpets in the wood-lined dining room.
The exterior is eye-catching: splashes of dramatic rainbow, more than half a dozen stories high. Inside, things are a bit more subdued, but just as contemporary, with round beds and hanging pod chairs. Other ways Le Germain will get your attention? Dinners of beef tartare in the restaurant; a 24-hour fitness center overlooking the city; flexible checkout so you can build a stay that suits you. The location, near McGill University and bustling Sainte-Catherine Street, is also ideal.
For more options, discover our guide on the best hotels in Griffintown and book now on Culture Trip.
This is an updated rewrite of an article by Emily Paskevics.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.