Montreal both inspires and is inspired by a wide range of art and creativity. Not limited to the city’s world-class galleries, visual arts spill out onto the streets in the form of inventive architecture, murals, and street art, adding both color and texture to the city’s neighborhoods. Here are 10 local artists whose creative work you must see.
Celia Perrin Sidarous
Celia Perrin Sidarous lives and works in Montreal. While pursuing an MFA at Concordia University, focusing on photography, she also did an exchange at Kunsthøgskolen, in Oslo, Norway. Her work, combining images and objects, has appeared in solo and group exhibitions at venues such as Parisian Laundry in Montreal (2013); the Banff Centre (2013); FOFA Gallery, Montreal (2012); and others in Montreal and Toronto. She has had her images published in Canada and abroad as well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Josée Pedneault received her MFA in Studio Arts from Concordia University, where she has also taught in the photography program. She has shown her multi-media work, which incorporates paintings, sculptures, photographs, and large-scale public installations, across Canada as well as abroad. In 2016–17, her show Naevus combined different materials in order to grapple with questions of fate, identity, and uncertainty, reflecting her overall artistic mission to explore “notions of fate, chance, utopia and dystopia, and the construction of personal mythologies.”
Lynne Marsh studied art in Montreal and London, has operated out of Berlin and is currently living in Los Angeles. Her art—featuring moving image, performance, and installation—emphasizes the “camera’s performance as a means to reconfigure social space, presenting the mechanics that create an experience as a type of theatre or performance in its own right.”
Montreal-born Isabelle Hayeur holds degrees in fine arts from the Université du Québec à Montréal. Focused on creating image-based art, she is known for her photographs as well as her experimental videos. She’s also created site-specific installations, along with public art commissions. The main themes of her work revolve around the environment, urban development, and social conditions connected to feelings of alienation and uprooting.
Michel de Broin
Michel de Broin is a sculptor whose interdisciplinary work also incorporates video, performance, drawing, photography, and found objects. National and international venues have exhibited his work, which focuses on exploring and interrogating everyday objects and appliances.
Manon de Pauw
Manon de Pauw lives and works in Montreal. She has presented her work, which encompasses a range of artistic media, at Galerie Optica, Expression (2005), and DARE-DARE (2003), among others. Her art has also been a part of numerous group exhibitions, events, and festivals across Canada, Europe, and Latin America.
One of the most celebrated street artists on the Montreal scene, Five Eight is a self-taught graffiti writer, painter, and muralist whose work adorns walls across the city. He is not only a member of the En Masse collective, but he has also worked with Heavyweight Production House. His portfolio also includes various projects headed by the city council of the southwest borough of Montreal.
Born in Taiwan, Chih-Chien Wang has lived in Montreal since 2002. He has exhibited his work extensively in Canada and abroad. Combining photography and video, Wang examines “texture, smell or existence of life” and “with sensibility” explores the “urban environments and cultural differentiation.”
Known for her vibrant portraits of women, in particular, MC Baldassari was born in France and moved to Montreal in 2007 in order to study industrial design. She is currently working as a freelance artist, illustrator, and muralist, creating a diverse body of work that continues to expand as she creates editorial illustrations, advertising, custom work, and more.
Valérie Blass is a Canadian artist renowned for her work with sculpture. She holds a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in visual and media arts from the Université du Québec à Montréal, and her work has featured at the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal, the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, and the National Gallery of Canada, as well as international art establishments.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.