Nova Scotia is a natural paradise, with everything from beaches to waterfalls and highlands. It was hard to narrow it down, but we’ve put together a list of the most breathtaking natural wonders in the province.
The 2.5-km hike along the Balancing Rock Trail in the Bay of Fundy will reward you with one of the area’s most well-known natural wonders. The name really explains itself, but to be clear Balancing Rock is a narrow column of basalt balance on the edge of an attached rock!
#balancingrock #nova scotia #digbyneck #st.mary‘s bay #whalewatching # digby scallops # lobster
A post shared by retohochstrasser (@retohochstrasser) on Oct 15, 2017 at 2:32am PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
100 Wild Islands
The 100 Wild Islands are actually a collection of 282 islands located off the coast of Nova Scotia. Their rainforest conditions have created an almost tropical looking environment, drawing them many comparisons to the Caribbean. While they are owned and managed for conservation purposes, tourists and locals are still invited to visit these mesmerizing islands.
“I feel like I’ve really done my job as a photographer, when they get to see something or experience something that perhaps has been in their backyard this entire time and they’re just seeing it for the first time now” Thanks @nickhawkinsphotography for helping to show people the incredible beauty of the #100wildislands conservation lands! Read the full @cbcnews story (link in bio) #conservation #conservationphotography #nature #protected
A post shared by Nova Scotia Nature Trust (@nsnaturetrust) on Sep 25, 2017 at 5:49am PDT
Kejimkujik National Park
Filled with both natural beauty and historic significance, Kejimkujik is both a National Park and a National Historic Site, and it’s one of the best places to enjoy the province’s amazing wilderness. Hiking, camping, biking, canoeing, and stargazing are just the beginning of the activities that the park has to offer. You can also discover stone-carved petroglyphs left by the Mi’kmaq people thousands of years ago.
a misty morning paddle out of the backcountry after a great thanksgiving weekend with some solid people 🛶🍁 | 📷: @pouncepronto @parks.canada #kejimkujiknationalpark #kejimkujik #explorens #explorecanada #getoutside @lachlanriehl @izzsea @aaribdoyle
A post shared by heather (@heathergerrie) on Oct 9, 2017 at 5:06pm PDT
Cape Breton Highlands National Park
The world-famous Cape Breton Highlands do not disappoint and should be at the top of everyone’s travel bucket list! You’ll marvel at the rugged forests, river canyons, mountains, ocean views, and dramatic cliffs. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself planning your return trip before you even leave.
Along the #skylinetrail in #capebretonhighlands When they say “where the ocean meets the mountains” they aren’t kidding. One of the most stunning hikes along one of the most stunning drives in the world.
A post shared by Clifford Pickett (@cliffordpickettphotography) on Oct 14, 2017 at 4:20pm PDT
Nova Scotia is home to hundreds of waterfalls, but with a 90 ft. single drop, Great Falls is estimated to be the tallest waterfall in mainland Nova Scotia and is located deep in the Cobequid Hills.
Brier Island is a haven for nature lovers. Located in the Bay of Fundy, visitors come here to enjoy the rugged forests, amazing array of wildlife, stunning sunsets, and whale watching.
#rainbow #rainblows #humpback #Whale #magical #wildlife #ocean #sea #Whalewatching With #MarinerCruises off #BrierIsland in the #Bayoffundy is an #ocean #wildlife #travel #adventure #visitnovascotia #explorecanada
A post shared by Mariner Cruises Whale Watching (@mariner_cruises) on Oct 12, 2017 at 6:02pm PDT
This is definitely an off-the-beaten path destination and is well worth the journey, whether by plane, tour, or your own private vessel. This remote island is home to over 500 wild horses and the world’s biggest breeding colony of grey seals. A visit here is not cheap but if your budget accommodates it, it’s an amazing opportunity that’s not to be missed.
Sable Island in January may look inviting, but check out #wildcanadianyear on sunday at 8pm to see how harsh it really is!! #sableisland #wildlifefilming #cbcdocs #natureofthings #parkscanada #horsies
A post shared by Graham Duggan (@instagraham_it) on Oct 13, 2017 at 3:58pm PDT
Touristy? Yes. Still worth it? Definitely! Don’t let the tour buses scare you away, Peggy’s Cove remains a stunning destination and we promise that the parking lot will feel much more crowded than the rocks themselves. Spend the afternoon walking the rocks and marveling at the rugged ocean views.
No words. #EastCoastTourHidemycoat
A post shared by Tanya Litkovska (@hidemycoat) on Oct 13, 2017 at 4:57am PDT
Bay of Fundy
The Bay of Fundy is one of the most popular destinations in the province and for good reason! It’s home to the highest tides in the world, and 160 billion tonnes of water flow in and out of the bay twice a day! There are lots of great ways to enjoy the stunning area including hiking, canoeing, camping, and tidal bore rafting.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.