Although it’s a relatively young country, Canada has some of the most beautiful university campuses in the world. The stately buildings and large, green grounds at many of the country’s universities are very enticing to students. Here are Canada’s prettiest campuses.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Royal Roads University
Located on the Hatley Park National Historic Site in Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, Royal Roads University is home to the prestigious Hatley Castle, constructed in 1908 and used in films and televisions shows such as Arrow and X-Men. The university only opened in 1995 and has a small number of students (2,500).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
University of Toronto
Located in the middle of Canada’s biggest city, the University of Toronto’s architecture includes a unique blend of Romanesque and Gothic elements. The campus is spread out, but primarily surrounds Queen’s Park. Nearly 60,000 students are enrolled at the university, which is the birthplace of insulin and stem cell research. Four Canadian prime ministers have also studied at this prestigious university.
University of British Columbia
On its own peninsula with stunning mountain views and easy access to beaches and downtown Vancouver, the University of British Columbia is in a league of its own. Locals describe the UBC campus as a town in itself, as it has all the amenities students need within walking distance. The university has over 60,000 students enrolled and is known for its anthropology museum and arts and science programs.
University of Saskatchewan
Located in Saskatoon and founded in 1907, the University of Saskatchewan is a research-oriented university, complete with a highly regarded medical program. The original buildings were constructed using limestone and sit around a large green space called The Bowl. Today, skywalks and tunnels connect the buildings.
Founded in 1841 through a royal charter Queen Victoria issued, Queen’s University actually predates Canada’s founding. Its home is in Kingston, Canada’s first capital city and the town with the most restaurants per capita in the country. The university’s campus borders Lake Ontario and has 18 student residences. Its Bader International Study Centre is housed in the Herstmonceux Castle in England.
Founded in 1818, Dalhousie University is even older than Queen’s. It’s known for its research programs and has the largest library system in Atlantic Canada (with five libraries). Dalhousie also has four university campuses: three in the Halifax Peninsula and an agricultural campus in Bible Hill.
McGill University effortlessly blends its urban setting with a lot of green space. Established in 1821 by a royal charter issued by King George IV of Great Britain, it’s conveniently located in downtown Montreal at the foot of Mont Royal and is an English-language university. Constructed in 1843, its Arts Building is the longest-standing building on campus.
University of Western Ontario
Corporally branded as Western University, this large academic institution calls London – halfway between Detroit and Toronto – home. The university is repeatedly named Canada’s most beautiful due to its stately Gothic-style architecture and access to green spaces. It’s also known for its excellent business program. The Thames River (yes, it shares a name with the river flowing through the other London) bisects the eastern side of the campus.
One of three universities in Quebec teaching primarily in English (along with McGill), Bishop’s University is an undergraduate-focused university. The campus sits on 500 acres of land in Quebec’s Eastern Townships region. Thanks to its Gothic Revival period architecture and its location at the junction of the St Francis and Massawippi Rivers, the university is known as “Oxford on the Massawippi.” The 2006 film The Covenant was also filmed at Bishop’s.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.