Montreal is a city best seen as a local. While there are plenty of museums and historic buildings to take in, the real charm of this French Canadian center is in its diverse neighborhoods, energetic restaurants and cool shopping – the best of which lies beyond the downtown core. So rather than book into a big faceless hotel, try one of our best vacation rentals. You can start your days with a lazy DIY breakfast, prepared how and when you like, before heading off to stay out as late as you want. The city is yours in these home-away-from-homes, bookable through Culture Trip.
If you love the comforts – and reliable standards – of a big-brand hotel, but want more freedom, you’ll find Homewood Suites by Hilton a great compromise. They’re spread across the USA, Mexico, Dominican Republic and Canada – and this outpost is in Montreal’s dynamic western district The Triangle. So you’re within prime striking distance of some of the most interesting neighborhoods and must-see sights. After a buffet breakfast spend your morning exploring vast, historic Saint Joseph’s Oratory and Mount Royal, both just a taxi ride away. Return for a dip in the pool and, if you can’t be bothered to cook in your apartment, dinner in the restaurant.
The photogenic Old Port is one of Montreal’s essential sightseeing corners, with its cobbled streets, sculpted old bank buildings and photogenic churches. Staying at Lofts de Vieux-Port puts you right in the thick of the action. What with the piers and their museums and ferry rides, as well as the pretty streets – all upmarket restaurants and bars – it’s easy to fill your days. But do schedule in some downtime. After all, the lofts, which sleep two to four people in spaces featuring exposed stone, steel greys and warm woods, provide pretty stylish surroundings for full-on unashamed lounging.
If you’ve come to Montreal for even a smidgeon of business mixed with pleasure, you probably want to stay downtown. In which case, Loft Hotel supplies that central location, but with distinctly funky, non-corporate décor: wood-paneled ceilings, accent walls painted in red, and sink-in L-shaped sofas. Every one of the cool urban spaces, sleeping two to four people, is unique, but all come with modern kitchens so you can brew morning coffees or prepare your own meals between meetings and outings. Don’t fancy cooking? Step out – there are dozens of places to eat right on your doorstep.
Calling all shoppers: Montreal’s flagship luxury department store, Holt Renfrew Ogilvy, is just down the road from Pierce Boutique Apartments. But the location, which is also within walking distance of The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and Concordia University, is not the only draw for stylish travelers. This set of one-bedroom apartments is a perfectly Instagrammable crash pad for couples or solos: think faux-fur throw cushions, shades of warm grey and pops of tropical foliage wallpaper to make you feel you’ve bought your own hip base in Montreal.
Montreal’s beloved green space, Mount Royal, is only a hop away from the Park Lofts – making this one-bedroom apartment a particularly appealing choice in summer when you can hop over for a picnic or wander out for a stroll on the lawns. The small private terrace, spilling out from the open-plan lounge and kitchen, is another win too, as is the free cot bed, making this property ideal for young families. You can certainly cook up a wonder-feast here, but – our tip – reserve at least one brunch for a smoked salmon and bagel feast at nearby Beauty’s.
This place feels miles from the bustle of downtown Montreal, and indeed it is: perched right on the banks of the Prairies River, next to leafy Beausejour Park. Château Olivier is just the Montreal pad you’re looking for when planning an unforgettable family get-together – with eight bedrooms (seven en suite) as well as a heated private pool and a pool table, it’s tailor-made for reunions and birthday bashes. The regal old-world interiors – we’re talking marble flooring, chandeliers and antiques – and the imposing stone-fronted exterior all bring a dash of sophistication to your special occasion.
Everything about Le Se7t is cool. There are the sleek interiors, enlivened by houseplants and minimalist pendant lights; the yoga studio, where you’ll sweat out big-city indulgences in a downward dog; and the location, straddling Little Burgundy and Griffintown, the former industrial district that’s now Montreal’s trendy stomping ground. Choose from one-, two- or three-bedroom units, all with access to the landscaped garden, outdoor pool and socializing spaces. Tummy rumbling? Book into Joe Beef, one of Montreal’s best restaurants, a 10-minute walk away.
Lined with grand museums, chic boutiques and one of Canada’s most prestigious universities, McGill, Sherbrooke Street is one of Montreal’s essential main arteries. Hôtel Manoir Sherbrooke, as you might have guessed from the name, is positioned right on it – and at a rather prime point too, only a few steps from the many restaurants of St Laurent Boulevard. The grand Victorian stone frontage delivers a throwback charm, while traditionally-styled rooms – some with kitchenettes – enhance the vibe. There’s a continental buffet included in the rate, so you can take a break from self-catering in the mornings.
Fancy a cultured and stylish stay in Montreal? Check out the best boutique hotels in Montreal and book with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.