The largest city in British Columbia’s Fraser Valley, Abbotsford offers great food including American classics with a Canadian twist. Explore the region lovingly known to locals as ‘Abby’ with our guide to the top ten restaurants and treat yourself to sublime meals from Asian-inspired burgers to New Orleans meats.
Using the stunning produce produced in the lush Fraser Valley’s gardens and dairy farms, Restaurant 62‘s works magic with these ingredients. Head chef Jeff Massey has become something of a local culinary celebrity in the 13 years he has been running Restaurant 62, earning accolades for his fine-dining fare and regularly appearing on local TV. Despite this fame, there is no unnecessary extravagance to his food, which is always simple yet effective, clean and most of all delicious.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Based around an unlikely fusion of the cuisines of Montreal and New Orleans, Brodeur’s Bistro manages to bring them together perfectly. Smoked meat smells make your mouth water as soon as you enter, and the restaurant offers a truly extensive menu of sides and appetizers, all made with their signature sauces.
Duft and Co. Bakehouse
Duft and Co. Bakery is perfumed with the smell of freshly baking bread and cakes, and the atmosphere is as inviting as the aroma. Providing wonderful freshly baked morning pastries, it is no wonder that they have become so beloved a part of the Abbotsford community in the 18 months they have been baking, providing everything from gluten-free loaves to lemon sugar buns.
Situated within the plant nursery at Tangleback Gardens, Brambles Bistro offers light bites to comfort classics. With these cafe staples comes a carefully cultivated European vibe, a relaxed air helped by being surrounded by the blooming flowers of the nursery. Enjoy a freshly made coffee over their all-day brunch menu or a perfectly made sandwich while you decide between gardenias or gladioli for your garden.
Serving Vietnamese food in British Columbia for close to 20 years, Vi-La Palace is so named because its two owners came from Vietnam and Laos respectively. These two culinary cultures intermingle in the menu, a reasonably priced selection of favorites, including a very good pho indeed. With those prices and generous portions, Vi-La is a great casual dining joint, with the waiting staff extremely attentive, remembering your previous orders if you are a regular.
Greek Islands Restaurant
As the name might suggest, the restaurant serves Greek food of such quality and authenticity that it is as if you are there, basking in the Greek sun over a souvlaki or two. Although the Canadian climate does not quite match its Mediterranean counterpart in terms of heat, everything else about the restaurant is perfect; try the superb moussaka. It is no wonder, then, that the restaurant has won awards and branched out into two other sites in the area, bringing a taste of the taverna to more of British Columbia.
The place for Japanese and Korean food in British Columbia, KoJan offers sensational sushi and Korean classics. Although there has been an explosion in the number of sushi places in the area in recent years, KoJan is perhaps the best of the bunch. Alongside this sushi is an interesting menu of Korean food well worth investigating, as well as a number of intriguing Asian-inspired burgers that show a spark of creativity often missing from similar sushi joints. Also unusual are the sizes of the portions, which are extremely generous.
Ann Marie’s Cafe
A slice of the 1950s, Ann Marie’s is the place for a breakfast or brunch with a little rock n’ roll twist. Diner classics and breakfast favorites are Ann Marie’s specialities, all served in a perfectly recreated 1950s setting unlike any other in the area. In fact, the food is such good quality and the prices are so low that it is difficult to believe you are not in a different era.
As well as being Abbotsford’s premier nightlife spot, the Phoenix lounge offers a great selection of dining options for a special event or a party. Their menu is full of classics from around the world, including steaks and seafood, and the atmosphere is classy enough to feel special without ever feeling over-stuffy or formal. You can begin your party over their global dining and then move on to the real party as the nightclub opens and you swap meals for margaritas.
With over twenty years of loyal service to the Abbotsford community, Lou’s remains one of its most popular restaurants. The menu is American favorites with a Canadian spin, a crowd-pleasing menu that is served up with a friendly vibe and excellent cocktails. Enjoy a perfectly cooked selection of grilled meats and sides alongside an expertly made drink and discover why Lou’s has remained a British Columbian landmark.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.