Banff, located in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, is a popular place. Over 3.6 million people visited Banff National Park in 2014 and 2015, and this number is continuing to grow. Here is a guide to the best places to stay, best things to eat, and the best things to do in this stunning Alberta town.
Getting to Banff
Banff is conveniently located just 140 kilometers (87 miles) west of Calgary, which has an international airport. From Calgary, there’s the option to get a shuttle from the airport, hop on a Greyhound bus, or hire a car. If visiting from Vancouver, Banff is a very scenic day’s drive away, or 850 kilometers (530 miles). A Parks Pass is required when driving into Banff National Park. For a more picturesque and luxurious journey into the area, the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train also stops in town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to stay
A fantastic budget accommodation option in Banff is Samesun, a backpacker lodge. Because it was formerly a hotel, the dorm rooms have little luxurious touches, such as fireplaces, armchairs, and private bathrooms. Dorm bed rates begin at CAD$33 (US$24.75), and the hostel is on Banff’s main street, so all attractions are within walking distance.
Samesun, 433 Banff Ave, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 4499
With rooms starting at CAD$104 (US$78), Banff Park Lodge is an affordable hotel located just off the main street and right near the Bow River. The lodge has many excellent amenities, including two on-site restaurants, an indoor pool, a free ski shuttle, and an airport shuttle service.
Banff Park Lodge, 222 Lynx St, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 4433
For a luxurious stay in Banff, look no further than the Fairmont Banff Springs. The stately hotel has 764 guestrooms, an indoor and outdoor pool, a golf course, and a full-service spa. It sits like a castle on the hill, overlooking Banff and surrounded by rocky mountains. Room rates begin at CAD$395 (US$296).
Fairmont Banff Springs, 405 Spray Ave, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 2211
Where to eat
For fresh Greek food in the heart of Banff, head to Balkan Restaurant. It’s a family affair, and signature dishes include slow-roasted lamb shanks and Greek share platters. Every Tuesday and Thursday night at the Balkan is Greek night, which involves belly dancing, plate smashing, and Greek dancing.
Balkan Restaurant, 120 Banff Avenue, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 3454
An institution in Banff, Melissa’s Missteak has been the town’s best steakhouse and family restaurant for over 30 years. They serve their “legendary family breakfast” every morning and also have a sports bar upstairs. They pride themselves on serving fresh and made-from-scratch meals only.
Melissa’s Missteak, 218 Lynx Street, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 5511
Banff Ave Brewing Co.
For beer lovers, check out Banff Ave Brewing Co. They use only the best ingredients in their beer, including glacial water straight from the Canadian Rockies. The menu features Canadian staples, which pair perfectly with their beers. Some of their beer varieties include a blonde ale, black pilsner, hefeweizen, and an IPA.
Banff Ave Brewing Co., 110 Banff Avenue #2, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 1003
“Whether in high heels or hiking boots, our dining room is yours.” The Bison is a restaurant serving regionally inspired and seasonal meals in an open concept kitchen. Their dining room features windows on three sides with mountain views, plus they have a terrace perfect for summer drinks. Pair your meal with a local beer or signature cocktail.
The Bison, 211 Bear Street, Banff, AB, Canada, +1 403 762 5550
What to see and do
Banff National Park is a big place – 6,641 square kilometers (2,564 square miles) in fact – and it’s filled with many natural wonders and outdoor activities. Close to town, take an easy stroll along the Bow River to Bow Falls. From here, visitors can climb the hill to see the prestigious Fairmont Banff Springs. Take a walk around the grounds and check out its panoramic mountain views. An easy public bus ride away is Banff Upper Hot Springs, an affordable relaxation experience.
Next stop is the Banff Gondola, which travels to Sulphur Mountain’s summit. There’s a boardwalk at the top for views of the township and six different mountain ranges. There are also interactive displays, restaurants, a theater, and a rooftop observation deck on top of Sulphur Mountain.
A little bit further from town are just a few beautiful turquoise lakes. Must-visits include Lake Minnewanka, Vermilion Lakes, Moraine Lake, and Lake Louise. The drive to the latter two lakes, along the Bow Valley Parkway, is just as picturesque as the destinations themselves. During summer, there’s the option to kayak on the lakes, whereas in winter, Lake Louise becomes an ice skating rink.
There are also many hiking trails around Banff National Park, which offer even more mountain, lakeside, and glacier views, including Wenkchemna Pass and the Plain of Six Glaciers Trail. The final outdoor attraction in the national park is Johnston Canyon, where you can join hundreds of people in summer and hike to its Upper and Lower Falls.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.