Vancouver’s ideal location on a major sea port along the Pacific coast, combined with its mild climate, gives food lovers easy access to fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Unsurprisingly, the dining scene here is varied and excellent; we list some of the best places to eat in this Canadian city.
Chambar is a Belgian themed, fine dining establishment free of the pretentious attitude symptomatic of so many upscale restaurants. Chambar is housed in a historic, late nineteenth/early twentieth century structure boasting rustic pine and red birch features which make for a cosy dining experience. Chambar is a leader in sustainability, and hopes to become Vancouver’s first carbon neutral restaurant.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
L’Abattoir is setin a nineteenth century structure built on the location of Vancouver’s first jail. The refurbished brick and beam building combines unique mosaic tile work and natural wood with the exposed brick of the original architecture. The resulting ambience is informal yet classy, creating the ideal space in which to enjoy a memorable meal.
Blue Water Café + Raw Bar
Blue Water Café is located in a warehouse conversion building, an elegantly designed dining room combines rustic elements with warm lighting and classically simple furnishings. The restaurant’s raw bar is truly unique, serving Japanese inspired seafood, with fresh flavours and stylish displays.
The food at Bao Bei in Chinatown takes influences from Taiwan, Shanghai and Sichuan. The resulting menu features small sharing plates infused with traditional flavours, combined with a modern approach to Chinese cuisine. The intimate dining space is both classy and comfortable.
Hawksworth Restaurant serves impeccable cuisine against a contemporary backdrop. Each room is given a different theme, although all are united through the consistently classic design of the space. Meanwhile the Canadian cuisine served takes advantage of the highest quality local ingredients, blending culinary expertise with the diverse tradition’s of Canada’s heritage.
Cioppino’s is commonly acknowledged as the best Mediterranean restaurant in all of Canada. The restaurant is perhaps most famous for its light yet luxurious pasta dishes. Refered to as ‘Cucina Natural’, Pino uses only the freshest ingredients, and prepares them in ways that allow their strong natural flavours to emerge without the addition of animal fats and other heavy ingredients.
Le Crocodile has been the recipient of Best French Restaurant in Where Magazine, The Four Diamond Award, and Best Upscale French Restaurant in Vancouver Magazine, among others. Chef and owner Michel Jacob of Strasbourg, brought his dreams of becoming a chef to Vancouver, and opened up a restaurant named for Au Crocodile, his preferred establishment in his French hometown. Jacob’s goal was to match the standard of excellence he found at Au Crocodile, which he has succeeded in doing with an honorable level of consistency over the past 30 years. This elegant, yet modest restaurant has been host to some of Hollywood’s biggest names, and remains relatively affordable when compared to other restaurants of similar caliber.
The Acorn is an all-vegetarian restaurant which offers an additional selection for vegan and gluten-free diners. The focus on fresh local ingredients means that menus are seasonal. The restaurant décor reflects the modern, yet earthly vibe of the cuisine served.
Hy’s Encore harkens back to the vintage steakhouses of the 1960s. Dark wood walls, red velvet chairs and European style portraits dominate the décor at this Vancouver classic. An open kitchen lets diners watch the expert chefs as they prepare the char-grilled, succulent steaks, which can be enjoyed together with one of Hy’s signature cocktails.
Vij’s approach to Indian cooking combines ingredients and techniques from diverse areas of the country within a single dish. Although it maintaints a traditional dedication to Indian flavours, the cuisine at Vij’s leans toward the contemporary through the importance placed on the aethetics of presentation. The menu rotates seasonally in order to feature the best quality locally sourced ingredients.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.