Boss women are leaving their mark on the world in amazing ways and seriously changing the game. Female entrepreneurship is incredibly important for our future and for closing the gender gap. The following Canadian women have created their own successful businesses and want to empower other women to do the same.
For Tonia Jahshan, entrepreneurship is literally her cup of tea. After sipping on a cup of Cream of Earl Grey made with loose tea leaves, Jahshan was so inspired that she created Steeped Tea so others could share in the experience of such rich flavors. Along with her husband, Hatem, Jahshan has established a business that allows tea-lovers to enjoy a quality product and empowers others to become entrepreneurs, as well. With the help of investors David Chilton and Jim Treliving of CBC’s Dragons’ Den, as well as other investors and consultants, Steeped Tea has grown in Canada and the US.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shahrzad Rafati is founder and CEO of BroadbandTV, a Vancouver-based digital entertainment company that is the third largest video property in the world, following only Google and Facebook. Entrepreneurship is in Rafati’s blood; her parents and brother are also entrepreneurs, and she started her company right out of school when online video was still a new concept. Realizing the need to connect content owners, content creators, audiences, and advertisers, BroadbandTV pioneered a technology and business model in which all parties benefit. Her passion lies in empowering this generation of content creators by giving them the tools they need to succeed.
Stephanie Ciccarelli believes in the power of voice. The co-founder and chief brand officer of Voices.com first developed her business idea with her husband, David, on the back of a napkin in their kitchen. The company, headquartered in London, Ontario, is now the world’s largest online marketplace for voice actors and voice-actor employers. Ciccarelli is considered one of the most connected people in the industry and for more than two decades has used her voice to empower women through spoken word, written word, and song. Her podcast, Sound Stories, brings high-profile creatives together to help others improve their craft.
In 1995, at just 20 years old, Mandy Rennehan founded Freshco, the first full-service, 24-hour, on-call retail maintenance provider with full coverage across Canada and the Eastern U.S. As she explained in The Globe and Mail, she named the company Freshco because she was a fresh female face in a male-dominated industry. Today, Freshco is the most successful retail maintenance and construction company in Canada with clients including Tiffany & Co., Apple, Nike, The Gap, and more. Rennehan created the Chris Rennehan Scholarship, named for her late brother, to help women and youth become more involved in trade, and she is a partner of the Conestoga Women in Skilled Trades (WIST) certificate program.
In today’s business world, online presence is key, and no one understands that better than Krista LaRiviere, CEO and co-founder of gShift. A proven entrepreneur, gShift is LaRiviere’s third digital marketing company. In 2009, she and co-founder, Chris Adams, put their passion for the digital space into developing the software platform, which simplifies digital marketing. Their Web Presence Analytics platform has since been adopted by more than 10,000 brands in 22 countries. LaRiviere also volunteers on the board of directors for SEMPO, a global nonprofit organization serving the search and digital marketing industry and the marketing professionals engaged in it.
Susan Niczowski’s passion for recreating family recipes with simple and real ingredients that are easily found in your kitchen is what led her to create Summer Fresh, which she founded with her mother in 1991. When Summer Fresh first began, they only had 18 recipes; today the company has more than 2,000 products, including dips, salads, snacks, and easy meals. Niczowski’s vision has always been to give people quality food they can enjoy with their loved ones without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
Jenny Bird grew up in Elora, a tiny, beautiful town in Ontario. Having always desired to create something reflective of her personal philosophy, she founded jewelry company Jenny Bird in 2008. Each piece is of the highest quality but sold at a fair price. Bird’s husband, Adam, joined as president of the company in 2011, and they have since grown the label into a sought-after international brand sold in more than 600 retailers worldwide, with showrooms in Toronto, New York, Paris, Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta, and Chicago.
Cassandra Nordell, co-founder and CEO of William Standen Co., is a firm believer that good design can inspire people to change the way they live. The company is a leader in green design and the first certified eco-friendly custom cabinet provider in Southwestern Ontario. Nordell’s path to entrepreneurship started early when she would help at her parents’ excavating company in Sarnia. Today, she leads the fourth fastest-growing company in Canada in consumer services and construction. Whether it’s designing a space to empower an individual or volunteering with charitable organizations, Nordell is most passionate about making a difference.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.