Toronto is a popular international travel destination, and the beautiful landscapes of the surrounding province of Ontario aren’t to be missed either. Fortunately, both the city and the region are very safe and easy to navigate for the solo traveler. Here’s Culture Trip’s quick guide to planning your trip to Toronto and through the province beyond.
Toronto: get to know the downtown core
If you’re planning a whirlwind tour of the city, it’s best to stay at one of the hotels or hostels in the downtown core. That way, you’ll have easy and immediate access to most of Toronto’s major sites and neighborhoods. For accommodations, Toronto offers a variety of hotels and hostels, from the ritzy and historic Fairmont Royal York to shared dorm rooms. Planet Traveler is an ultra-modern, eco-friendly hostel with a convenient location on College Street and features a lounge, rooftop bar, and solar panels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the main attractions
Toronto’s highlights include the Royal Ontario Museum and the CN Tower with its glass floor and panoramic views of the city and Lake Ontario. The Harbourfront is also worth a visit in the warmer months, with its lakeside festivals and cultural activities. You can also take a short ferry ride over to the Toronto Islands for a quick getaway from the busy city.
If you’ve got time, you can also plan a road trip from Toronto over to Niagara Falls. This natural wonder of the world is about 90 minutes away from the city, and it’s definitely worth the trip! Both the local GO Train service and the Greyhound bus line conveniently offer cheap and direct routes between Toronto and Niagara.
Take the streetcar
One of the best things about Toronto is that it’s safe and easy to explore on foot or by public transit, and it’s hard to get lost in the city’s grid. There’s always a subway station or streetcar stop nearby. The Toronto Transit Commission (called the TTC) takes you from place to place by subway, streetcar, or bus; the streetcar – named one of the top 10 trolley rides in the world by National Geographic a few years back – is a special treat.
Grab a delicious meal
Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, and that means the range of international food options is incredible. From Chinatown to Little Italy, Little India to Koreatown, each neighborhood has its own influence on the surrounding restaurants. If you’re craving something that’s quintessentially Canadian, go for Poutini’s House of Poutine on Queen West.
Take the VIA Rail
As you head out of Toronto to explore the rest of the province, a comfortable and convenient option is to make it a train trip. VIA Rail will take you eastward along the shores of Lake Ontario along what is commonly referred to as the Toronto-Montreal corridor, which will give you a good sense of the landscape of the southern part of the province.
Assuming you head east toward Ottawa, the nation’s capital, you can make a pit stop in the small city of Kingston along the way. The city has the distinction of having been named the first capital city of the country before the title was bestowed upon Ottawa instead! Here, you can visit historic sites like Fort Henry, or you can take a 1000 Islands Boat Tour to view the beautiful scenery between Kingston and the neighboring border into New York state.
Go and see the nation’s capital
Continuing with the train trip, you can head over to Ottawa and explore the National Capital Region. Must-see sights here include the National Gallery of Canada, the Rideau Canal, and the Parliament Buildings.
Of course, there’s plenty more to see in the rest of the province, especially the stunning natural beauty of the landscapes that stretch toward the north. If you’re outdoorsy and want to experience Ontario’s wilderness, there are plenty of opportunities for camping and hiking as you head northward.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.