There are numerous ski resorts in British Columbia and Alberta. Although a lot of them look luxurious in photos, a ski holiday in Western Canada doesn’t have to be expensive. Here are some tips for budget travellers, to help you get the most out of skiing in Canada, while spending less.
Ski Holiday Packages
There are some websites that specialise in ski vacations. Ski Canada and Skican are just two companies that can offer you packaged deals. Ski Canada has good specials for groups and does Ski Safari RV Tours, which includes hiring an RV and visiting more than one ski resort. Skican hosts group ski tours around British Columbia too. Break down the costs and see if a ski holiday package works out cheaper for you.
Some ski resorts also offer packages that include accommodation and lift passes to save you money. Visit the Whistler or SkiBig3 websites for such deals.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Don’t Stay on the Mountain
Unless a good deal is found, it will probably be more cost-effective to stay off the mountain and not in the village. Most ski resorts that are near towns offer shuttle services up the mountain daily as well. In BC, Fernie is known for being an excellent ski town, with Rolling Stone naming it the Coolest Town in North America. It’s ski resort, one of the biggest in Canada, is very close by. Head to Revelstoke to ski the biggest vertical drop in North America, and save money by staying in one of the town’s many hostels.
In Alberta, Banff is also home to quite a few hostels and it has three ski resorts within easy reach. Canmore is another town in the Canadian Rockies that is very close to Banff, but a lot less crowded and cheaper. You can easily drive to Banff’s ski mountains or head to nearby Nakiska Ski Resort.
Buy Lift Passes Online
To save money, buy lift passes online prior to your first day on the mountain. Most ski resorts advertise that buying in advance online means extra discounts, so check out their individual websites. Another website to look at for excellent lift pass deals is Liftopia.
Visit Out of Season
One of the best budget travel tips is to always travel out of season. For Western Canada ski resorts, this usually means visiting before Christmas and around spring. Visitors will find good deals and packages for skiing at the end of the season. Sunshine Village in Banff has the longest season out of all of the resorts, from November to May.
Unless you’re an avid skier or snowboarder that hits the slopes every season, it may be cheaper to rent your equipment and clothing at the ski resort you select. Most rental services offer deals depending on how long you want to rent for. Check out Amazon for inexpensive snow gear too, such as moisture-wicking thermal tops (imperative), goggles and waterproof pants.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.