With its proximity to captivating coastal landscapes and the Canadian border with the USA, there are many getaway options for Montreal residents – and they’re particularly envy-inducing. Pop over the border to Burlington and sample some of Vermont’s best beers (don’t forget your passport), or head to the rugged Newfoundland and Labrador provinces to relax in historic fishing villages. So pack your bags and hit the road – these are some of the best weekend getaways you’ll experience.
Situated at the confluence of the Saint Lawrence River and the Rivière Saguenay, Tadoussac has many whale-watching opportunities over the summer months. Zodiac whales are popular in the area, and lucky visitors will often also spot beluga and minke whales. Besides witnessing these enormous sea dwellers, Tadoussac is a popular base for venturing further into the fjords and surrounding waterways. If you’re traveling as a family or group of friends, you can rent an entire guesthouse in Tadoussac Bay, with panoramic views over the Saint Lawrence River.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tadoussac is one of the most spectacular whale-watching spots in the world, so it would be a crime not to head out on an expedition while you’re here. After boarding, this small-group tour cruises through the Saguenay-St Lawrence Marine Park, traveling past towering cliffs with the sea breeze in your face. Your naturalist guide will point out and discuss the whales you see on your trip – there are up to 13 species that frequent the area.
Algonquin Provincial Park
A dense, pine-tree-packed provincial park, Algonquin seems as if it’s come straight from a Thomas Cole painting. It’s full of stunning lakes and native animals, and in the autumn, much of the forest turns various shades of deep and luminous orange, covering the park in fiery tones. Whether you want to hike through the many tracks or take it all in from the water, you’ll want to stay somewhere that keeps you immersed in nature.
This group tour is the perfect way to sample a canoe adventure, without the logistics of camping overnight. You’ll cover up to 10 mi (16km) – an exciting combination of challenging paddling, tranquil pauses and a 1 mi (1.5km) hike through lush forest. Daredevils can try cliff jumping, but if you prefer a more low-key cool off, the lakes make for spectacular swimming. You’ll be able to enjoy dramatic views from a scenic lookout, explore, and be informed on, historic landmarks, forage for wild edibles and observe native wildlife such as birds, butterflies, moose and other large mammals.
Perched on Lake Champlain’s shoreline, Burlington is a bohemian town where performers take to the streets and breweries host live music. You’ll need your passport to get here, but it’s worth crossing the border for this weekend getaway. Prepare to spend your time ambling along wide sidewalks, taking in the beautiful scenery and making the most of the town center’s buzzy atmosphere.
Taste your way through some of Vermont’s best beers on this Burlington brewery tour. You’ll sample world-class brews, get an insider’s perspective on the thriving craft-beer scene and then meet the owners and brewers behind the city’s most popular pours. Learn about colorful characters and the history of beer brewing in Vermont, as you make your way between your destinations, with pitstops for lunch or dinner at a favorite local spot.
Lincoln, New Hampshire
Another venture for the passport, Lincoln is a cutesy town located in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire, USA. With its multicolored clapboard houses and surrounding natural beauty, it’s an ideal escape for those who want to immerse themselves in the great outdoors. Winter visits are all about world-class skiing, whereas summer focuses on theme parks and hiking trails.
Whether you’re a wine aficionado looking to discover the lesser-known New Hampshire wine region, or a curious beginner wanting to dip your toe in, this promises to be an educational day. You’ll take an intimate tour of Seven Birches Winery and chat with the winemaker, giving you the opportunity to pick the owners’ brains on the winemaking process and the local industry. It’s a fantastic way to experience the vineyard, with a tasting session that goes further than usual. You’ll have the opportunity to sample a “wine in progress” – currently in production – as well as some delicious wines that have already been bottled.
This far-flung seaport city – the first to be founded in Canada – has reinvented itself in recent decades. Away from the harbor, red-brick and sandstone buildings line streets packed with pubs and restaurants. Overlooking the Bay of Fundy, the town is home to one of Canada’s most incredible natural phenomena – the Reversing Falls, which occur as a result of the tides in the bay meeting the power of the Saint John River.
Capture the beauty of Canada’s coastline on this five-hour photography tour of the Fundy Coast. You’ll begin by exploring the fishing village of Saint John, where your guide will talk you through the history of the town, before moving onto Saint Martins for the chance to take atmospheric shots of the lighthouse and twin bridges, backed by ocean swirls. The remainder of the tour will take you to rocky beaches and sandstone sea caves carved out by powerful waves. Before heading back to town, there will also be time to visit a historical food market and admire the famous Reversing Falls – a natural phenomenon caused by incoming tides that force back the flow of the Saint John River, creating white-water-tinged whirlpools.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.