Chocolate has long been synonymous with love and pleasure, and Canada’s coolest city isn’t immune to a little sweetness in its daily life. We list 10 of the best places to find a top chocolate fix when you’re in Toronto.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Based in the trendy Yorkville area, MoRoCo Chocolat is a sophisticated boutique with an extensive list of sweets, as well as a full menu if you’re interested in a meal as well. With over 15 unique truffle flavours, beautifully crafted macarons, and playful desserts, there is really something for everyone.
Chocosol Traders is a hot spot for foodies who want to learn while they eat, as they offer frequent chocolate making workshops. In addition to the popular events hosted at their location on St. Clair W, their shop offers artisanal chocolate that is made in Toronto and sourced directly from farmers. They also offer treats that are free of gluten, soy, dairy, and are vegan.
The Chocolateria is a one-stop shop for anyone with a sweet tooth, as their small location hosts a variety of options from ice cream (burnt caramel is a favourite) to biscotti and candy apples. The shop also hosts chocolate tasting events, many of which are paired with wine throughout the year, and feature holiday themed treats for special occasions.
SOMA Chocolates has made a huge impression on the chocolate lovers of Toronto with fan favorites such as the decadent hot chocolate shot glass, their extensive collection of 26 truffles, and rotating flavors. SOMA also offers a great selection of cookies, barks, spreads, candied nuts and gifts baskets.
At Ambiance Chocolat you can navigate through their extensive chocolate collection and choose precisely what flavor is right for you. Every chocolate is handcrafted on the premises using original recipes, and for ultimate freshness, Ambiance limits production to small batches, and uses only local and fair-trade ingredients.
Chocolate by Wickerhead
Chocolate by Wickerhead is a small, inviting shop located in The Beaches, where you can find playfully handcrafted goodies such as the popular solid Belgian chocolate Buddha and an assortment of chocolate popcorn and pretzels to satisfy sweet and salty cravings. The shop also specializes in unique truffle creations and beautiful gift baskets for every occasion.
Nadège has become the go-to for Toronto dessert lovers, and for good reason. Nadège selects the highest quality chocolate from around the world to create sophisticated artisan chocolate products. From luxurious cake creations to French pastries, Nadège has something for everyone. The shop also offers colorful ‘chocolate tablets’ that each contain a different letter of the alphabet, which are great for personalized gifts.
Maisonette: Laura Slack Chocolates
Laura Slack chocolates have become a coveted item of the Distillery District’s Maisonette. Beautifully packaged chocolate bars are individually hand painted, and many are finished in luxurious metallic dustings. For Valentine’s Day, bring new meaning to ‘’till death do us part’ by purchasing the handmade dolce de leche skulls and the ‘Chaucer’s heart;’ pink lemonade tea infused ganache in dark chocolate.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.