The capital of Nova Scotia and one of Canada’s Maritime Provinces, Halifax is a laid-back city with a stunning waterfront, ocean-scented air, and a thriving music scene. The restaurants here have always specialized in seafood but many are moving beyond fresh fish to take advantage of the region’s noteworthy craft breweries and farms.
Brooklyn Warehouse offers delicious food and warm ambience . The restaurant has a strong commitment to locally-sourced products and fresh ingredients, with an on-site vegetable garden and rotating daily specials displayed on a chalkboard menu. The region’s breweries and wineries are well-represented on the restaurant’s extensive beer and wine menu. The interior looks like a cross between a bistro and a pub, with tin ceiling tiles and hand-painted signs, along with an airy three-season patio.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Brooklyn Warehouse, 2795 Windsor St, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 446 8181
Five Fisherman Restaurant & Grill
Open for more than thirty years, Five Fishermen is well-known for its Alberta Angus beef and exceptional Nova Scotian seafood, including lobster, oysters, and steamed mussels, served with four signature sauces. Five Fishermen is divided into a fine dining restaurant upstairs, and a more casual grill area downstairs. The restaurant has won numerous awards from Wine Spectator, recognized for its superb selection of wines. Dating back to 1817, the restaurant’s building originally served as an art school, and was later used as a mortuary to house victims of the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion. This building’s interesting history may explain the frequent reports of supernatural activity made by the restaurant’s staff over the years.
Agricola Street Brasserie
Agricola Street Brasserie features a menu of seasonal, French-inspired dishes in a setting that encourages diners to linger. Menu highlights include an heirloom tomato tart with goat cheese, and braised rabbit with roasted mushrooms and pearl onions. The restaurant’s decor makes an equally strong impression, with high ceilings, vibrant furnishings, brick walls, and an open kitchen. The restaurant is proud of its location in Halifax’s community-minded North End, even naming one of its signature cocktails, ‘the North Ender’.
Agricola Street Brasserie, 2540 Agricola St, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 446 7664
Economy Shoe Shop
This eclectic restaurant has been one of Halifax’s trendiest places to dine for over a decade. The restaurant’s retro sign, from which the Economy Shoe Shop gets its unusual name, once belonged to a Barrington Street shoe shop in the 1950s. Popular with locals, celebrities, and tourists, Economy Shoe Shop is divided into several different rooms, each of which features quirky decorations, including a jukebox, chandeliers, and an indoor garden. The restaurant’s diverse menu offers dishes ranging from Thai red curry to Maritime seafood chowder, as well as piled-high nachos, which are a local favorite. The restaurant also has regular live music, public readings, and a rotating showcase of local artwork hanging on the walls.
Economy Shoe Shop, 1665 Argyle St, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 423 8845
Chives Canadian Bistro
Chives Canadian Bistro serves a menu of Canadian cuisine with innovative twists created by chef/owner Craig Flinn, the author of numerous best-selling Canadian cookbooks. The menu makes the most of seasonal ingredients, and every meal begins with the restaurant’s signature tea biscuits, which are prepared from a family recipe. The decor incorporates elements of the Canadian landscape, including wood, water, sand and rock. The building, a former bank, makes for a unique setting; the bank’s vault has been repurposed as an intimate private dining area. Chives also features an innovative ‘Moving Menu’, an exterior art installation that live broadcasts the action in the restaurant’s kitchen to pedestrians out on Barrington Street.
Chives Canadian Bistro, 1537 Barrington St, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 420 9626
The Ardmore Tea Room
Regularly voted as Halifax’s best breakfast, the Ardmore Tea Room is a classic diner that has been serving up comfort food since 1956. A favorite among families and students, this budget-friendly restaurant is best known for its filling ‘Lumberjack Breakfast’, which consists of eggs, ham, sausage, bacon and multigrain toast. In addition to typical diner fare like milkshakes and hot turkey sandwiches, the menu also features local dishes like ‘Newfoundland Steak’ and cod fish cakes. The service is fast and friendly, the atmosphere is simple and homey, and there’s often a line-up outside the door on weekends.
The Ardmore Tea Room, 6499 Quinpool Rd, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 423 7523
Set in the former home of Canadian politician William Alexander Henry, Henry House is a three-level restaurant, pub and private dining facility. The 18th century ironstone building is the perfect backdrop for the restaurant’s menu of British pub fare and Maritime cuisine. The menu is the same whether you choose to sit in the more formal dining room upstairs, or in the casual pub on the lower level. Typical dishes include beef-and-beer stew, steak sandwiches, fish cakes with beans, and homemade bread pudding. The drink menu features English-style ales, and local Granite Brewery beers. Henry House also offers seating on its outdoor patio during the warmer months.
Henry House, 1222 Barrington St, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 423 5660
EDNA, which stands for ‘Eat, Drink, Nourish, Always’, offers an ever-changing menu of local food. Regular menu highlights include soups and salads made from market vegetables, fresh oysters, and butcher’s cuts. The restaurant is particularly well-known for its small, but impressive, brunch menu, which includes dishes like eggs Benedict with duck-fat home fries and free range eggs. The restaurant’s interior is chic and urban with antique touches, featuring reclaimed wood, a long central communal table and painted metal barstools. Awarded ‘Best Design & Decor’ by the Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia, EDNA’s interior is divided into a lively bar area, and two intimate dining areas.
EDNA, 2053 Gottingen Street, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 431 5683
Your Father’s Moustache
Your Father’s Moustache is a favourite Haligonian summer hang-out, with a rooftop deck that’s widely considered to be the best patio in the city. The rooftop area provides views over one of Halifax’s busiest streets, plus offers plenty of seating and umbrellas for shade. The restaurant features a classic pub-style menu of pasta, steaks, seafood, fish and chips, as well as a popular club sandwich. The highlight of the restaurant’s summer menu is fresh lobster served with potato salad and French bread. Your Father’s Moustache also features frequent live entertainment, as well as a drink menu with a good selection of craft beers and international brews.
Your Father’s Moustache, 5686 Spring Garden Rd, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 423 6766
The Press Gang
Set in one of Halifax’s oldest buildings, the Press Gang has a reputation for offering one the city’s best fine dining experiences. The large menu focuses on seafood, meat, and poultry dishes, with highlights including seared Nova Scotia halibut with ginger lime thyme sauce; and herb-crusted rack of lamb. The restaurant also offers an extensive oyster bar, ideal for a light meal or to have alongside drinks from their excellent wine and cocktail menu. The Press Gang features a live band on Friday and Saturday nights, with the jazz, Motown, and classic rock music adding to the restaurant’s already cozy ambience.
The Press Gang, 5218 Prince St, Halifax, NS, Canada, +1 902 423 8816
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.