Anyone who has ever wondered how people got around without smartphones will both understand and appreciate the role apps play in our lives. Since Torontonians love their smartphones almost as much as their Canada Goose jackets, here is a list of ten iOS and Android apps any visitor or resident of the 6ix must have.
Any TTC rider knows the perils of riding the TTC: whether it’s unannounced, out-of-service streetcars or simply long wait times, a simple trip across town can take longer than expected. Enter: Transit App, a must-have for all loyal TTC riders. Each bus and streetcar stop is monitored with accurate time updates; with stops based on GPS, it is easy to find relevant routes nearby instead of scrolling through a list of all the routes the TTC uses. Swiping on a bus or streetcar prediction shows alternative routes and arrival times. By navigating the map, the app quickly updates the nearest stops without needing you to type in an address.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Toronto Parking Finder
The only thing worse than driving in Toronto is parking in Toronto. The Toronto Parking Finder displays the nearest free or paid parking spaces. Everyone has had the experience of forgetting how much time is left on the parking meter, which usually leads to frantic rushing; the Toronto Parking Finder app has a timer that displays the time remaining on your parking meter to help you avoid pesky parking tickets. Searching for a parking spot is quick and painless, as it searches based on location and lists the nearest available parking spots and streets around you. Unfortunately this app is Android only; for an iPhone alternative, check out BestParking.
Street Food Toronto
Have a quick break in the day and need something fast to energize? Street Food Toronto has you covered. Searching through the list of street vendors is easy; you can sort by popularity, favorites, distance, or alphabetically. Tapping on a street vendor brings up a quick description, along with a schedule of where and when it is open. To easily find favorite street food vendors with just a tap, adding a food truck to the favorites list is fast and easy. Walking around the street to find a food truck is a thing of the past with Street Food Toronto.
Re-usable water bottle users, this one’s for you. Constantly on the hunt for nearby water bottle refill stations to quench your thirst? Luckily, there’s Quench for that. Quench makes hydrating both environmentally friendly, easy, and cost-efficient. Open the app, and you’ll find a map based on your location with the closest refill centre or fountain. The app allows users to add locations and rate cleanliness and temperature with a three-star rating system. Especially useful in the summer during events or exercise, Quench will help you stay hydrated in the heat.
Long morning coffee queue getting you down? The Ritual app searches nearby food joints (based on what you’re looking for, whether it’s a latte or a burrito) and allows you to place your order directly in-app. Ritual notifies you when your coffee or food is ready to be picked up. It gets even better; there’s no need to line-up or have cash on hand. Payment is done through credit card in-app, and everything is ready to go when you arrive at the restaurant or coffee shop. Simply find the ‘Ritual Pick-up spot’ in the restaurant, and the food is ready to go.
Sponsored by the City of Toronto, Toronto Cycling helps keep Toronto green by tracking biking sessions. Through GPS, the app helps with navigation routes and displays information on the current biking path. Speed, distance, calories burned, and greenhouse gas offset are all shown during an active biking session. Don’t have a bike? The app displays the nearest bike share locations and the number of bikes docked. If you’ve made it a goal to live greener and get active, Toronto Cycling is a must-have app.
Looking to save a few pennies? Flipp finds all flyers in your area based on location, and shows you all of them at once for whatever is on your shopping list. Upon finding the product, Flipp displays all results from each retailer’s flyer, making comparison shopping easy. Flipp makes it simple to find which of over 800 retailers sells the bulk of your shopping list.
Toronto’s music scene is big, and Jukely offers the best last-minute tickets. Through a monthly subscription (with no additional ticketing cost), Jukely lets you put your name on the last-minute guest list with just a tap. Simply head to the venue, check in on your Jukely app, and enjoy live music. There is an option to add a ticket to bring a friend for an additional monthly fee, so pair up and experience some live music each week. A 14-day trial is available for free to view available performances, so there is no harm in trying out Jukely. Music lovers will love this app, which is guaranteed to expose users to new musical talent gracing Toronto.
Getting dressed in Toronto is no easy feat: first, you have the ever-changing weather, and then you have the ever-changing trends. Blynk Style makes the daily task of choosing your clothes less of an issue. Developed by a local Torontonian, Blynk Style shows the perfect styling choices using photos. Want to wear plaid? Search plaid. Need a quick summer look suggestion? No problem. If there’s a recommended style you dislike, swipe left, and the app will take a note of your style choice for future recommendations. Likewise, swiping right will give the app a better idea of what your ideal style is. It’s like Tinder, but for fashion! No more wasting time in front of the mirror wondering if the outfit you’ve chosen looks good. Open up the app, search for a style, and keep your style game on point.
The Culture Trip App
Shameless plug time: there’s a Culture Trip app! Users can explore articles spotlighting countries across the globe, with a filter to view specific cities (such as Toronto). Find everything you need to know about about food, events, and art in the city of your choice. Whether you’re looking for a weekend activity in the 6ix, the quirkiest museums in Paris, or the most outrageous desserts in New York, The Culture Trip has you covered. Currently available in the Google Play store, iPhone users should keep their eyes peeled for an iOS version.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.