With over 70km (43mi) of coastline and 37 beaches, finding an oceanside bar in Saint Martin to watch the sunset over the water isn’t hard. There are luxury resorts, shacks on secluded coves and beachside bars close to the airport on this Caribbean island, split between French and Dutch sides. One thing that unites everyone is guavaberry, adopted as the national liqueur in honor of the abundant crop grown on the island, and now found in drinks across Saint Martin’s best oceanside bars.
Drink in the bars of Saint Martin.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Roxxy Beach Bar
Between bands and DJs, music is always playing at this high-end beach bar on Simpson Bay. The vibe is matched by the extensive cocktail list, with everything from a grapefruit gin and tonic to a guavaberry colada. If you’re seeking deck-ready snacks for sailing into the sunset, the diverse menu features light, canape-style bites including samosas and sushi.
This open-air spot on the Dutch side is famous for its old-school bus that doubles as a kitchen and bar. Live music lights up most evenings and their ti’ punch (a blend of rhum agricole, cane syrup and lime) is legendary. Umbrella-covered casual seating is right on the beach, where you can wiggle your toes in the sand while taking in the cerulean waters of Simpson Bay.
On the boardwalk in Philipsburg, this cafe serves tasty breakfast and lunch options, as well as a wide selection of frothy coladas deep into the night. The brightly tiled bar and parasol-shaded tables offer casual seating with warm ocean breezes. There’s live music every Friday and the banana daiquiris can be taken to go if you’re just dropping anchor for a quick cocktail run.
Dany’s Beach Bar
Dany Isaac operated a long-time “concession stand” from the back of his pick-up truck on Cupecoy Beach, but after Hurricane Irma he pivoted to an actual beach bar with umbrella-covered loungers on the sand. Nothing is fancy here, and don’t expect blender drinks, but there is a good selection of craft beer and potent rum punch. The barbecue, prepared by Dany (or his mom), is famous among locals in the know.
Buccaneer Beach Bar
Brightly colored picnic tables look over Kim Sha Beach in Simpson Bay at this lively watering hole. From Friday movie nights to crab races and hog roasts, there’s always something going on at the Buccaneer. Friday and Sunday evenings feature the lighting of giant “fireballs”: large metal sculptures with intricate carvings that are said to bring luck and fortune. Glimpsing the blazing sculptures against the moonlit bay is rivaled only by the bar’s delicious guavaberry colada.
Sunset Bar and Grill
Sipping a guavaberry colada while planes fly directly overhead to and from Princess Juliana Airport is an experience not to be missed. Just steps away from the covered deck on Maho Beach, visitors can check the daily flight schedule on the Sunset Surfboard. In between arrivals and take-offs, there are crab races, live music and pizzas with aviation-themed names – sure to keep you busy as the sun goes down.
Driftwood Boat Bar
If plane-watching is your goal, another worthy option sits on the north end of Maho Beach, just steps from the sea and near the airport. The bar is made out of a brightly colored boat with a canvas awning ceiling; perfect for all you sailors. There are some rustic chairs at the bar, but beach loungers are available too. This casual spot offers affordable, ice-cold buckets of beer, driftwood punches with too many rums to name, and tasty wood-fired pizzas.
This hidden gem on Simpson Bay Beach is part of the Mary Boon Beach Resort and Spa, which opened in 1970 and remains in the same family. Removed from the usual crowds, you can run your toes through the sand on one of their beach chairs and sip a lychee Chambord caipirinha, or one of their other freshly squeezed cocktails, while admiring the passing sailboats on the turquoise water.
Dip into the best bars around Saint Martin.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.