From remote, uninhabited islands to streets lined with duty-free shopping and quaint French bistros, St Martin has a lot to offer yachting visitors. Split almost down the middle, the northern half is French while the southern half is Dutch, creating an interesting blend of European and Caribbean cultures. Drop the anchor, butter a flaky croissant and enjoy the warm turquoise waters of St Martin.
Spend a day sailing in St Martin.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What to See and Do in St Martin
Start in the Dutch capital of Philipsburg, walk the streets and marvel at the duty-free shopping – from jewellery to clothing and electronics, there’s not much you won’t find here. Fill your bilges with fine French wine and Dutch cheese, plus check out the Guavaberry Emporium for a taste of the island’s fruity local liqueur.
Next, head over to Sentry Hill where you can glide high above Simpson Bay Lagoon on an exhilarating ride down the mountainside. The Flying Dutchman zipline at Rainforest Adventures is not for the faint of heart – with a 1,050ft (320m) drop, it’s the steepest zipline in the world. We promise that the 360º view of the island will make it worth stomaching the nerves.
Finally, experience regatta life at the 12 Metre Regatta, where you can spend the day racing authentic America’s Cup boats in exciting head-to-head matches – races are held daily throughout the year. Get stuck in trimming the sails and grinding the winches, or sit back, relax and leave the hard work to the professionals.
Best Mooring Locations in St Martin
Conveniently located in the French capital of Marigot, a broad circular breakwater encloses the 150 slips available for boats up to 260ft (80m) at Marina Fort Louis. Unlike most other marinas in the area, Marina Fort Louis has the advantage of not having to pass through a bridge to access it.
Alternatively, pick up a marine park mooring at Tintamarre – an uninhabited Robinson Crusoe island off the northeast coast of St Martin. Follow the trails ashore to the long, windswept beach on the eastern shore – perfect for beachcombing. Or, jump in the crystal-clear water of the anchorage to snorkel with sergeant majors and butterflyfish.
Where to Eat and Drink in St Martin
With regular live entertainment and a daily happy hour, the Soggy Dollar Bar in Simpson Bay Lagoon is the place to be on a Friday night. Put your dancing shoes on and rub elbows with locals, visitors and sailors at this lively and popular waterfront bar.
It’s worth travelling to Grande Case just for the restaurants. Among the best is L’Auberge Gourmande – which serves excellent traditional French Creole cuisine in a rustic country atmosphere. Don’t miss the French onion soup – and be sure to ask your server for a recommendation from their substantial wine selection.
Where to Get Groceries in St Martin
For fresh local fruit and vegetables, visit the market stalls behind the Marigot dinghy dock on a Wednesday or Saturday. A short walk from the Marigot waterfront is Super U, where you’ll find just about everything you need for full provisioning. For bulk items, go to the Cash and Carry next door. If you’re buying more than you can walk with, take a taxi back to the dock.
Key Annual Sailing Events in St Martin
With often more than 200 boats competing, the St Martin Heineken Regatta is perhaps the largest and most well-known sailing event in the Caribbean. Every March, hundreds of boats gather in the anchorages of St Martin for four days of racing and entertainment. If you’re visiting in December, look out for the Course D’Alliance – which takes participants from St Martin to St Barts, Anguilla and back during this fun-filled three-day regatta.
Climate and Weather in St Martin
Air temperature in St Martin ranges from 21ºC to 30ºC throughout the year, with hurricane season running from June to November, although tropical storms and hurricanes are most likely in August through to October. Like most of the Caribbean, humidity sits at around 70 percent year-round. Water temperatures are a steady 26ºC to 29ºC – warm enough to swim and scuba dive comfortably without a wetsuit.
How to Get to St Martin
St Martin has two airports: the larger Princess Juliana International Airport on the Dutch side of the island and a smaller, regional airport in Grand Case on the French side. For day trips and inter-island travel, regular ferries are available to Anguilla, Saba and St Barts from St Martin.
Sail around St Martin.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.