The vibrant and diverse city of Doha, Qatar, is a paradise for food enthusiasts, offering a culinary journey that celebrates the city’s rich heritage and modern flair. From its humble beginnings as a pearl fishing village to its current cosmopolitan status, Doha boasts an exciting and eclectic food scene that caters to all tastes. Embark on a gastronomic adventure as we unveil the best of traditional Arabic delicacies, Michelin-starred restaurants, and innovative, experimental cuisine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Market by Jean-Georges, Doha
Market is a sleek, high-end restaurant inside W Doha Hotel & Residences in West Bay, the heart of the city. This award-winning restaurant serves simple yet elegant international cuisine inspired by world-renowned chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten, who has created a restaurant that has the feel of a family kitchen. The sophisticated venue hosts a popular Friday market brunch – part à la carte, part buffet – with live cooking stations, signature dishes to order and a wide range of great dishes to choose from. Experience new flavour combinations and spices from around the world that Market is famous for. A la carte is pricy, of course, but the breakfast buffet and express lunch are more affordable options.
Three Sixty Restaurant
The Torch, Doha’s landmark five-star hotel, is home to six dining and lounge options. But the most magical of all is this revolving restaurant – the only one of its kind in Doha – on the 47th floor of the 300m (984ft) structure. This high-end eatery is the ideal place to indulge in luxury Mediterranean cuisine while enjoying panoramic views. Single tables fan the 360-degree space, facing out through floor-to-ceiling glass. It’s impeccably done out, with tables draped in crisp white tablecloths and finished with sparkling crockery and cutlery. Lunch is a more affordable option, but if you’re wanting to splurge, come for dinner; besides the regular menu, look out for themed nights based on dishes such as homemade pasta, entrecôte, or steak and lobster.
This waterfront complex, Doha’s largest dining experience, comprises three different restaurants – the Joury, La Toscana and Nayrabin – which makes it the perfect spot for groups and families all with different tastes. It’s a lively and welcoming place, with seating for up to 1,500 people who come to enjoy affordable Arabic, Syrian or international cuisine. Located at the end of the Corniche near the harbour, at night it glows with pink and blue lights. Guests can choose to sit inside and make the most of the air-conditioned, marble-floored interior; or you can choose to dine al fresco on the terrace, with a nightly son et lumière as the fountains spring into life.
L’wzaar Sea Food Market
From fish to crustaceans, the full ocean-to-table experience at this restaurant on Katara beach pays homage to Doha’s roots as a fishing village, with azure tiles and huge fish tanks adding to the aquatic theme. You can dine at small tables with cosy booths and a view across the Gulf, or on high-top stools offering a peek into the smart kitchen. Choose how you want your food to be cooked: whether Mediterranean, Arabic or Japanese style. The fresh seafood is hauled daily from Dhow Harbour straight into the restaurant. Try an authentic dish such as hammour (grouper), which is firm but flaky with a distinctive taste. There’s also lobster, sushi or filling fish and chips – it’s all here and reasonably priced.
Chef Al Shawarma Restaurant
This one-of-a-kind fast-food style restaurant opened in 2019 and quickly established itself as great value for money and the prime spot for shawarma. Located in Muaither, near Aspire Park, it’s the first (and only) restaurant to offer eight types of shawarma (thinly-sliced meat roasted on a slow turning rotisserie or spit), including chicken, fish, camel and ostrich. Diners can choose from the Arabic-style shawarma or try the meat in a sandwich. There’s also a vegetarian option of falafel shawarma.
Layali, meaning “night”, is Doha’s favourite value-for-money Lebanese, with two outlets – one in Lagoona and another in Salwa. The vibrant interiors reflect a fascinating Arabian Nights culture, with mosaic tiled flooring, rainbow-coloured furnishings, soft drapes and bold art. Lebanese tradition rules, from the food – salads and mezze boards, grilled meats and seafood – to the shishas and the entertainment, courtesy of a live Tareb singer.
Set in the beautiful gardens of the exclusive St Regis Hotel in Al Qassar, Hakkasan is renowned for its opulence and fine dining. Here you can indulge in modern Chinese cuisine served in the elegant dining room, on the outdoor terrace or in the lounge. The impressive à la carte menu boasts everything from dim sum to wok-fried hammour. Dinner and drinks can prove expensive, but there are other options, such as brunch every Friday morning and don’t miss the signature menus and Hakkatini Night Menu. While the restaurant is part of a global chain, some of the dishes are exclusive to this venue.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Rachel Morris.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.