Qatar has a wealth of culture and beauty, and many artists willing and eager to capture that beauty. So here is Culture Trip’s top five contemporary artists in Qatar.
Wadha Al Suleati
Wadha Al Suleati specializes in fashion design and visual artistry, so she is quite different from the other artists featured on this list. Wadha is one of Qatar’s most popular artists, and her work is featured in joint and private exhibitions in Qatar as well as abroad. On top of being an artist herself, she also helps coordinate artistic projects, so she is a key figure in Qatar’s art world. Some of Wadha’s fashion designs have been featured in international fashion shows and have become very popular over the years. She also founded the Al-Roshana Gallery in Doha.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Faraj Daham’s work is intricately connected with the movement of organic bodies. As such, his work has a truly fascinating and approachable quality to it. His pieces, particularly his paintings and sketches, are characterized by their complexity and enormous levels of activity. His work is incredibly active and reactive, and every viewer will take away something different from this subjective viewing experience. Faraj considers his method, generally, to be keen observation. His ability to observe, soak in, and reconstruct human action into something artistically resonant is astounding.
Telephone number: +946 55514924
Yousef Ahmed is described as a pioneer of the modern art movement and is one of Qatar’s most prevalent artists. In 1976 he began working for the Ministry of Information as the Head of Art and Exhibitions. This role involved supporting and promoting other Qatari artists. Later, in 1979, he completed a masters in painting in the United States. Yousef’s own artistic work is inspired by his fascination with calligraphy and the Arabic script. While developing his own unique style, he discovered the art of printmaking techniques, which included silkscreen and etching. Qatar itself is etched into his paintings, as he was inspired by the flat desert landscape of his home. He used collages of colors, mixed-media works and textures to express his feelings about Qatar.
Telephone number: +974 44081255
Ali Hassan Jaber
Ali Hassan Jaber began his journey into art at a very young age, while he was still in primary school where he discovered a passion for calligraphy. In the 1970s he pursued this passion by becoming a volunteer calligrapher for one of Qatar’s first national newspapers, Jaridat al-Arab. Like Yousef Ahmed, he spent time after university honing his artistic skill by learning printmaking, as well as taking on a course in restoration in Egypt and Belgium. He later experimented with what he had learned and initially began with producing pieces that focused on black and white Arabic calligraphy. However, he has experimented with vibrant and luminous colors over the last fifteen years while focusing on the Arabic letter ‘N’. For Ali Hassan Jaber, focusing on one letter alone exhibits the artistic power of calligraphy, proving that one letter can yield wonderful art.
Wafika Sultan Al-Essa
Wafika Sultan Al-Essa was one of the first women in Qatar to study art and then turn it into a profession. For female artists in Qatar, Wafika remains a true inspiration. Initially, she was a professional interior designer. This experience with interior design has contributed massively to her work as an artist and continues to influence her pieces. Wafika has a great passion for color and actively tries to incorporate the complexities of calligraphy, color, and form in her work. This attention to detail makes for miraculous pieces of art.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.