You haven’t experienced real Omani culture until you’ve been invited to the Omani Qahwa. Yes, this unique word means coffee, but there is so much more to it than a simple cup of brown, hot drink. It is a complete course of hospitality that reflects the exceptional essence of Omani heritage. Here are all the distinctive wonders you need to know about this splendid culture of Qahwa.
What is Qahwa
Qahwa (or kahwa) is the Arabic word for coffee. Nevertheless, Arabic coffee has a specific taste that distinguishes it from how it is served in other non-Arab countries. The way coffee is prepared is also different, and sometimes almost every Arabic country has its unique method of making it. In Oman, for example, Qahwa covers a bigger meaning of hospitality than in other countries. Qahwa in Oman refers to what guests are served when they are invited to an Omani house. It includes the Omani coffee, different Omani dates (fresh and dried), fruits, Omani halwa (dessert) and cakes and bakery. Omanis even use the word “qahwa” as a verb to invite people to their houses.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
How Qahwa is made
Omani Qahwa uses spices and flavors to give a unique taste to the coffee. The main ingredients include: saffron, rose water and cardamon. However, some people also like to add cloves and cinnamon. These ingredients are boiled in simmering water to mix flavors.
What to do when invited for Qahwa
Omanis are some of the most generous Arabs. They love inviting people to their houses, and serving them with their best food, desserts and drinks. They are so hospitable that they’re known to welcome people into their homes every day. For all the love, welcome, and respect they offer their guests, guests must never be late for the visit. Omanis respect time and are very organized, so a guest should always be punctual.
Omanis usually sit on the floor in a circle, where the food is in the middle. They sit close to each other, and make guests feel welcomed and treated like family. You can ask to sit on a chair if you can’t sit on the floor for a long time. Make sure that you don’t eat before you visit Omanis, because they will offer you a lot of food. It is disrespectful not to eat what they offer, but more importantly, they will feel sad that you didn’t try their food.
Omanis are very generous, and they will keep serving guests and bringing different types of food and drinks to them. They might even offer them lunch or dinner afterwards. Nevertheless, as a guest, you must be mindful of what time it is and when you do need to leave, because they usually sleep early and have work and other things to do.
What to expect
The traditional course of hospitality in Oman usually starts with Qahwa and dates. Beside the dates bowl, there will be a water bowl. You should gently wash your fingers in that bowl before you start eating dates.
Then, the host will serve coffee in a small cup. If you want another cup of coffee, you simply give your cup to the host. If you don’t want to drink anymore, make sure you shake your cup before you give it back to the host.
Fruits are then served with other desserts like cakes and Omani bakeries. However, the coffee and dates will remain until the end of the visit.
What accompanies the Omani Qahwa
Omani Qahwa can be considered the country’s national drink. Omanis take such pride in their coffee that they present it to visiting leaders, guests in their homes, and during weddings and special occasions. Qahwa represents a sign of love and respect, and must be served at all times. Omanis themselves drink coffee throughout their daily routine.
The Qahwa is always served with dates, fruits, cakes, bakeries and desserts. Nevertheless, it is never served without dates. During weddings, Qahwa is served with Omani halwa, with tradition stating that guests should eat the halwa first before drinking the coffee.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.