This eco-friendly country boasts unspoilt natural beauty and wildlife, a rich cultural heritage and genuine hospitality. Whether you’re here to kitesurf, trek mountains, spot dolphins or stargaze into the night, these are the best resorts in Oman to enjoy right now.
Shangri-La is a super-plush adults-only hotel perched high on a cliff, overlooking the rugged mountains and Bay of Muscat. The sandy-walled property combines the look of an Arabian palace with that of an old fortress. Rooms are comfortable and luxe without over-the-top bling. The minibar is complimentary, as is the daily afternoon tea served in the courtyard next to date palms. Service is five-star throughout, but the new L’Occitane spa is the real showstopper.
Atana Musandam is a resort with 110 water’s-edge suites and apartments arranged in eight low-rise buildings to replicate a traditional Omani village. The location, at the northern tip of the Musandam Peninsula, makes this resort shine, with its unique craggy coastline, fjord-like inlets and vast mountain backdrop. There’s a sea-facing outdoor pool, a diving centre and a fully equipped gym.
Salalah is one of the most scenically diverse places in Oman, thanks to its unique tropical microclimate. It’s also the home of frankincense, with a museum to prove it. This luxury resort is immersed in lush gardens that overlook the Indian Ocean. On the edge, you’ll find a long curve of white-sand beach. Choose from luxe rooms, suites and family-friendly villas. You’ll find the only green nine-hole golf course in Oman here, too. The airport is only 10 minutes away by car.
The Al Baleed Resort is situated between a beach and a freshwater lagoon and is designed to reflect ancient Omani heritage with a contemporary modern twist. One of the real draws is its infinity pool, surrounded by tropical gardens. Enjoy spectacular sea views from the private beach, or partake in a range of ancient spa rituals that use naturally sourced ingredients such as frankincense and banana leaves.
Six Senses Zighy Bay sits on the Musandam Peninsula, where soft-sand beaches meet rugged mountains. At this five-star resort, private pool villas – ranging from one to four bedrooms – come as standard, ideal for those who crave privacy. The award-winning spa is a highlight here, surrounded by date palms and lime bushes. Try yoga with a sunrise view, build up a sweat in the jungle gym or unwind in one of the Arabic-style hammams.
Situated in Muscat, the Chedi is a landscaped garden oasis in the middle of the city. Villas are built in a minimalist style with traditional Omani influences. Upgrade to a deluxe or club suite and you’ll have access to the club lounge. Perks here range from private limousine airport transfers to daily cocktails and canapés. Elsewhere on-site, there are six restaurants, ranging from Mediterranean to Japanese cuisine, as well as three swimming pools and a 13-suite Balinese spa.
Judy Cogan contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.